• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wegmans In Woodbridge

Rail Paul

I understand that representatives of Wegmans have been looking at property on Green street in Woodbridge, near the Mall, as a new store site. It is a very high traffic area but the demographics are different than Bridgewater, Manalapan, or Plainsboro. The demo is more like the Pennsy and Upstate stores.

No news releases on Wegmans site

Anybody have more info?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Words cannot describe how happy this makes me! I lived in Ithaca for several years and fell in love with Wegmans, and was very sad when I had to move back to NJ and resume shopping in the A&Ps and Stop n' Shops of the world. I moved to Bridgewater and lobbied Wegmans hard, and was even invited to a private pre-opening tour of that store, but we had already relocated to Metuchen. I may finally be able to get some really great options for the vegetarian in me, without driving far!

Casey

.  It is a very high traffic area but the demographics are different than Bridgewater, Manalapan, or Plainsboro. The demo is more like the Pennsy and Upstate stores.

Paul, I certainly agree with you about the demographics..and from some of the discussions we've had here, it seems that store layouts and inventory are very similiar location to location.

I wonder if they ever adapt it to the area...it will be interesting to see.

Wegman's ...the Disneyland of food stores.

Chop--you live in Woodbridge? I grew up in Woodbridge and my parents still live there. I haven't spent much time in Manalapan or Bridewater, so I'm not entirely sure what the demographic difference is, but there's no doubt there's a stong presence of what used to be called blue-collar and middle-income, and everyone seems to be commuting up and down Routes 1 and 9. Don't forget it is also where the Turnpike and Parkway intersect.

But Kim--when you say "Wegman's ...the Disneyland of food stores" would you mind fleshing out what you mean for me?

And all I will say is--if the Woodbridge Wegmans does not have an Herme pastry boutique I will be really pissed.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

what are you all trying to say that since i live in woodbridge that im some poor shmuck who doesn't deserve a good wegmans?

Of course not!

read the original quote. The Wegmans stores in NY and Pennsy have demographics very much like Woodbridge, and the few I've seen don't look as elaborate as the three locations mentioned. My question is (and remains) whether Woodbridge will keep all of the upscale treats that Manalapan, Princeton, and Bridgewater have, or whether they'll look and be stocked more like Wegmans elsewhere. My guess is they will clone the store and then tailor the market. Bridgewater has a huge section for Indian foods and preparations which I didn't notice on my one trip to Manalapan. I'd bet Woodbridge will have a huge Indian foods section, too.

Stores are means of making money for the owners, just like restaurants. If people want to buy $20 cheese or $35 Herme chocolates, Wegmans will sell it. If they don't buy, their stores won't stock it.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

But Paul, you do agree that it says something, in terms of respect for an audience or a community, if the Woodbridge Wegmans were to open without an Herme pastry department? Especially with the precedent of one right down the road in Princeton?

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

I do a lot of shopping at Wegmanns. Mostly for meat and produce. There is a difference even between the Princeton and Bridgewater locations. The meat selection is far better at the Princeton location. I do not know the reason for this but if you visit both stores and pay particular attention to the meat section I am sure you will agree. On another note, my mother grew up in Woodbridge and I visited my grandparents throughout my childhood in Woodbridge. I love Woodbridge and almost purchased my grandparents house after they had passed away but Like it or not it is a different demographic than Princeton. I'm not sure what the store will stock but I think Rail Paul raises valid points about how the store will be set up. I'm not sure why some are so quick to assume the worst about peoples comments on this board some time.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

But Paul, you do agree that it says something, in terms of respect for an audience or a community, if the Woodbridge Wegmans were to open without an Herme pastry department?  Especially with the precedent of one right down the road in Princeton?

Steve, the Disney land of food stores refers to the level of excitement I feel when I enter the doors...similiar to how a child might feel when the Magic Castle looms into sight. Really, It's been in Princetone for a few years, but I still feel its a treat...I hate having to "pop" in for a few things, and prefer knowing I have time to browse and poke and consider...again, like a child might be unhappy with only one quick ride in Disneyworld.

Throwing in my two cents about "respect for an audience or community", I just don't think its a respect issue..just a profit issue. I kind of compare, on a much bigger corporate scale, to my real estate marketing. I am familiar with the demographics of each community in Middlesex and Mercer counties, since I spend thousands of dollars on marketing to many of them. And my marketing is different to Hopewell (glossy recipe cards with Martha Stewart like tips on the back) and Woodbridge ( a magnetic calender for the fridge). Average sale price for a home in Hopewell: 490k. Average sale price for a home in Woodbridge: 187k 55% of families in Hopewell have a stay at home mom. 14% in Woodbridge. There is greater volume in Woodbridge, and much quicker Days on market. If I don't take this info into consideration when deciding my marketing, I'm not going to get a return on my investment.

So, if Wegman's were to not include certain departments, and expand others, I would think their decisions were based on profits, not respect for their customers.

And chop, Woodbridge is a lovely area, I especially like the Port Reading area, they did a great job with the riverfront. In my opinion, EVERYONE deserves a Wegman's, just like every kid should get to visit Disneyland! :laugh:

[i wonder if they ever adapt it to the area...it will be interesting to see. ]

yes they do. The Pittsford, NY area is Wegman's very nice store with all the top of the line stuff.

But the Wegman's next to the University of Rochester was not at all nice inside. It had no seafood dept, no butcher, no chees dept., no special areas whatsoever. Why because it was in the poorer area of town.

Kim--thanks for a fascinating post. I, too, share your Disney-like excitement about walking through the doors of a Wegmans. Now, will someone please call the corporate public relations number for Wegmans and ask if the Woodbridge store will have an Herme pastry kitchen so I can stop worrying? I have to get to work.

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

OK, fine stop begging. I called. BTW - their number is very easy to remember, for future reference it is 1-800-WEGMANS.

The store is scheduled to open until late-2003, but that is not absolute. The representative I spoke to said they don't know (or haven't been informed?) which specialty departments will be included in the Woodbridge store at this point in time. Sorry.

For those concerned about which departments this future store will or won't have, there is a customer service link on Wegmans' website. Why don't you send them a message letting them know you plan on shopping at the new location and tell them which departments are important to you. Since it sounds like they are still in the planning stages your input may be very much appreciated.

But the Wegman's next to the University of Rochester was not at all nice inside. It had no seafood dept, no butcher, no chees dept., no special areas whatsoever. Why because it was in the poorer area of town.

But, the Wegmans at State College PA has a Herme shop.

Their Herme counter people interned in Bridgewater for two weeks to understand the nuances of the marketing. When the store was ready to open, the manager of Bridgewater Herme went out for a few days to help.

I'd suspect that Wegmans has a very finely tuned sensitivity to what their customers want, and what they're willing to pay for. The store will reflect that very quickly.

rancho gordo

I want to know when they are going to open one here in North Jersey/Essex county? It would do fantastic in the Livingston/Short Hills/North Caldwell/Montclair/etc. area. I believe the expense in purchasing property in this area my be very astronomical. I am sure it's part of the reason why you don't see a Wal-Mart in the area.

For those concerned about which departments this future store will or won't have, there is a customer service link on Wegmans' website. Why don't you send them a message letting them know you plan on shopping at the new location and tell them which departments are important to you. Since it sounds like they are still in the planning stages your input may be very much appreciated.

I just sent them an email requesting the Pierre Herme patisserie. I'll let you know if they write back. The feedback form says that each comment/question is read by a "real person!"

Anne E. McBride

Here is the email I received from Wegmans:

Thank you for emailing Wegmans.

I have shared your request that Pierre Herme chocolates be available in our

new Woodbridge store

with the bakery department for further consideration.

Thanks again for writing and have a nice holiday.

Anne E. McBride

Words cannot describe how happy this makes me!  I lived in Ithaca for several years and fell in love with Wegmans, and was very sad when I had to move back to NJ and resume shopping in the A&Ps and Stop n' Shops of the world.  I moved to Bridgewater and lobbied Wegmans hard, and was even invited to a private pre-opening tour of that store, but we had already relocated to Metuchen.  I may finally be able to get some really great options for the vegetarian in me, without driving far!

Casey

I am up in Bergen County, in Northern NJ. How does Wegman's compare to King's, is it much different, or is King's of the same ilk?

Remember everyone--we don't just want Herme chocolates available at the Woodbridge store--that's a no brainer and you can get Herme chocolates from the net. No, what we want in Woodbridge is an Herme pastry department--like in Princeton--with Herme's dessert line produced in-house. Otherwise, you'll be stuck solely with the non-Herme American-style bakery crap from Princeton and you might as well shop for your American-style bakery crap at Shop Rite.

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

Steve, my email was requesting a Herme pastry department, not just the chocolates, don't worry! Maybe I'll respond to that email and specify pastry again. By the way, are we doing an "official" (i.e. by egullet members, not an official egullet-sanctioned) email campaign?

Anne E. McBride

Has anyone been to both Wegmans AND Kings?  Up here in Northern NJ, we only have Kings.  A pleasant, if not sometimes overpriced place with some unusual items, and great produce.  (Kings)  Any feedback appreciated.

Been to many locations of both Kings and Wegmans. I'd give Wegmans (using Bridgewater as reference) a solid edge as much better than Kings, IMHO (using bedminster and West Caldwell as examples). We'll see how D'Ag does with the Kings stores.

Service Butcher - Wegmans, by far. Many more items, usually more butchers available. The WC Kings butcher is sometimes off duty by 7 pm M-Tu-We, for example.

Shelf Meat - Wegmans, again, more selection. Also offer irradiated ground beef. Better for cheese, although the Bedminster Kings is much nicer for cheese than WC.

Vegetables and fruit - toss-up.

Grocery prices - neither is cheap compared to Pathmark or Shop-Rite. I think Wegmans is usually cheaper than Kings on most canned stuff.

WOW factor - Wegmans. Herme Pastry shop, pizza restaurant, wider selection of game, Indian food, oils, pasta, etc. Kings has better flower section though.

Service - Kings used to be superb when the Bildners ran it. Baggers at every register, cart boys to help, they'd walk you to the aisle to show you the item you asked about. Once the Brits took over, it went straight downhill. Beat up the unions, cut back on help. You could see the grind in the faces of the same employees who used to be happy to help.

rancho gordo

Thanks a lot, RailPaul. Sounds like you have convinced me to bop in to a Wegmans when I visit my cousin next in Monmouth County. I still like the service at Kings (but the deli is awful) but only for selected items, never on a regular basis. I go to the Cresskill store.