• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wegmans In Woodbridge

Rail Paul

I stopped in Wegmans after work today and have a question. I see that "Pierre Herme" is mentioned on here. Now is that just the chocolates or does that name also go to the pasteries as well? From what I could tell it only was used for the chocolate.

I had a really nice conversation with a young lady working there about the chocolates. She even let me sample one. Yumm!

They have some nicely prepacked variety packs for the holiday season.

I had some food from the $5.99 a pound buffet and wasn't too impressed. The food was pretty bland or had a mass produced taste to it. The pad thai was too wet. The lo mein had no taste at all. The steamed dumplings were ok, but I have had better.

Whenever I pass Wegman's there are people standing by the highway protesting heir mistreatment (busting) of union employees. Was that dispute settled recently or is it still going on? There was mention of Kings breaking the unions but I think Wegman's has problems in that area as well.

I don't believe Wegmans is unionized, other than perhaps the butchers. I believe the union has made some attempts over the years, without success. Being a non-union shop in NJ is definitely putting a lightning rod on the business.

Kings has unions, but the frail health of the store chain hasn't encouraged some of the nose to nose confrontations similar to Shop-Rite's or Pathmark's issues.

Fresh Fields has been picketed from the day they opened in Montclair, and is definitely non-union. One of the issues in Montclair arose over whether the former union status of the closed Acme market would carry over to a different and unrelated owner. It's interesting that a very liberal, university influenced, community routinely crosses a picket line to shop. That would be unlikely to occur on the Upper west side of Manhattan, I'd bet.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 4 years later...

Talk about a BUMP! Do a search for Wegmans and you'll see why this seemed the best choice for posting this, which I got via email. I won't comment-just sharing, FYI. :blink:

Book-Signing Event:

Meet Celebrity Chef Rocco DiSpirito

With three cookbooks already under his belt, this award-winning chef and culinary star is ready to introduce his latest: Rocco’s Real Life Recipes, Fast Flavor for Every Day. It’s packed with 175 recipes for quick main meals, wine pairings, and his own unique style tips for everyday entertaining. After starring in NBC’s The Restaurant, Rocco went on to appear on national TV shows, like Bravo’s Top Chef and Oprah. This is your big chance to rub elbows with Rocco, and get a copy of his new cookbook personalized. It will be available at 20% off at Wegmans, too!

Where: Woodbridge Wegmans

When: Saturday, 11/10

Time: Noon – 2:00PM

Tickets: In order to attend this book signing, you must:

• Purchase Rocco’s cookbook at Wegmans. Retain your sales receipt.

• Pick up your free book-signing voucher at the Service Desk. Quantities are limited. One voucher needed per person attending.

• Exchange your voucher beginning at 11:00AM the day of the signing to receive your numbered ticket that reserves your place in line.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...

You think that's bad?!? Check this out! Talk about a great way to discourage attendance...

11/07/2007

Join us on Wednesday, November 7th from 12-2pm for a special book signing with Bobby Flay as he signs copies of his new cookbook "Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook".

Bobby Flay will be signing up to 4 books per guest as long as one of the four books is his newest title and has been purchased with Williams-Sonoma: The Mall at Short Hills location. He will only be personalizing copies of his new book, Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook purchased at Williams-Sonoma. Receipt of purchase will be required. Bobby will not be able to sign personal items or memorabilia. No picture taking will be available with Bobby Flay and all cameras and cell phones must be placed away and not in hand while waiting on line. No flash photography permitted anywhere in the store. Bobby Flay will only be available from 12pm to 2pm and books will be signed on a "first come, first serve" basis. Not all guests may have the opportunity to visit with Bobby and have their book signed. The Author will make every effort humanly possible to sign as many books possible during the 12pm to 2pm timeframe. No books are guaranteed to be signed and no guest is guraranteed to meet with the author. We thank everyone for their understanding in advance.

Link

I assume that they'll be typing blood as well...and asking for a note from your mother... :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

apparently these places are trying to avoid mod scenes and opportunists. seems reasonable to me. additionally, i can't imagine these requirements came out of the ether. not to mention it's tough to say who is putting those requirements in place (authors, managers, publicists, stores, etc.)

Completely agree, Tommy, and I imagine it can be a tough scene to manage, especially if the 'talent' has a tight schedule. Still, I found that list of rules and regs a bit over the top!

apparently these places are trying to avoid mod scenes and opportunists.  seems reasonable to me.  additionally, i can't imagine these requirements came out of the ether.  not to mention it's tough to say who is putting those requirements in place (authors, managers, publicists, stores, etc.)

There are two cookbooks signed by Bobby Flay offered at $50 and $42 more than unsigned books on eBay.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Completely agree, Tommy, and I imagine it can be a tough scene to manage, especially if the 'talent' has a tight schedule.  Still, I found that list of rules and regs a bit over the top!

the only rules that i see are:

Receipt of purchase will be required.

Bobby will not be able to sign personal items or memorabilia.

No picture taking will be available with Bobby Flay and all cameras and cell phones must be placed away and not in hand while waiting on line.

No flash photography permitted anywhere in the store.

The first seems reasonable. The second two are probably out of consideration for everyone in line. The fourth is to stop people from trying to get around the third. Putting the list in persepctive is Wegmans or WS really being over the top? Or are they simply mitigating risk. People have entitlement issues. When you manage an event like this you have to address that fact head-on.

I do agree that there are many people who should be required to bring a note from their mother, however.

As an event planner, I'll just say this--I completely understand why both Wegmans and WS need to put all of these restrictions out; there are just better ways they could have done/phrased them! :laugh: And of course, I know damn well that there will be a mob scene there. They just couldn't pay me to be part of it! :biggrin: