• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Necks

Shel_B

Recently five pounds of chicken necks found their way into my freezer. Besides using them in stocks, what other recipes can be made with them, maybe something in which they play a starring role. My dad loved to suck the meat off a nicely roasted or braised neck. The meat is very flavorful, and it might be nice to do something more interesting with them besides making stock or soup.

... Shel

I always wanted to try this idea I had but haven't done so. You will need the skin on. Separate the skin as one long tube and try to get out as much meat as possible from the neck. Mix the meat with minced prawns and water chestnuts and bulk it up with more meat(chicken or pork) if necessary. Season with cornflour, chinese wine, sesame oil, soy, sugar, salt and pepper, if you like you can add just a touch of 5 spice powder to the mix. Stuff this back into the skin then try to form sort of a sausage and deep fry it. Man that sounds good already! Try it and tell me if that idea works!

Also, if the colour isn't quite right you can darken it by rubbing a little soy on the skin.

This idea actually came from a local dish called Ngoh Hiang or literally 5 spice, hence the 5 spice powder. Originally its wrapped in a beacurd skin but it doesn't take much to extend the idea to the neck skin. We usually serve it with a sweet sauce which I find unnecessary.

Edited by deadstroke (log)

Hi,

Where I come from, we put them (skin on) in a stockpot then add vinegar and soy sauce (1:1 ratio) just until submerged, a few cloves of fresh garlic, about a teaspoon of whole black pepper and a few pieces of bay leaf and we simmer on low heat till cooked. Skim off the oil on top (or refrigerate and remove crystalized fat). If you can add some chicken liver and gizzard that even makes it richer and more flavourful. Eat with hot steamed rice or pick the flesh from the bone, fry in a little oil and make into a sandwich.

Another way we like to use chicken necks is to take the skin out scrape the yellowish fat from it, pat it dry and deep fry into cracklings. Use a vinegar and chili pepper as dipping sauce... fantastic snack.

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!