• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Apple Barbecue Block Party 2010 [PLAN]

Fat Guy

Dates for 2010 are 12-13 June. Just got this media release:

THE 8th ANNUAL BIG APPLE BARBECUE BLOCK PARTY RETURNS

JUNE 12 & 13, 2010

FASTPASSES ON SALE NOW

February 22, 2010 New York – Get ready for the sights, sounds, smells, and delicious flavors of New York City’s much-beloved barbecue extravaganza. Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group, Blue Smoke and Jazz Standard proudly announce dates for the 8th annual Big Apple Barbecue Block Party: June 12 – 13th, 2010. Join us in beautiful Madison Square Park and surrounding streets for another unforgettable weekend of great food, music, and festivities.

FastPasses are on sale now for $125 each at www.bigapplebbq.org. Each FastPass includes a $100 value redeemable for food, beverage and merchandise and guarantees exclusive access to express lines for the FastPass holder and one guest throughout the weekend. A limited number of FastPasses are available so get them while they’re hot!

In addition to serving up the best regional barbecue from the nation’s top pitmasters for only $8/plate, the Big Apple Barbecue Block Party also offers amazing live music, seminars, cooking demos and book signings with the ’cue experts – ALL FREE.

This year’s sponsors include Every Day with Rachael Ray, American Express, Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau, Coca-Cola, Dancing Bull, Delta Air Lines, Heartland Brewery, Hotel Roger Williams, Ikea, Maker’s Mark, Royal Oak, Stubb’s, The Other White Meat, the NYC Department of Parks and Recreation, and Madison Square Park Conservancy.

In 2009, over 125,000 attendees enjoyed great live music and mouthwatering ’cue throughout the two-day long event. Last year the Snapple Big Apple Barbecue Block Party raised $100,000 for the Madison Square Park Conservancy which develops the park’s programming, maintenance, security and horticulture. In 2010, a portion of the event proceeds will once again benefit the Madison Square Park Conservancy.

Save the date and let the countdown begin!

www.bigapplebbq.org

HOST'S NOTE: Click here for the terms under which this is listed on the eG Forums.

Edited by heidih
Add Host Note (log)

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Wow!! An increase of $25 for the fast pass!

I have 5 people that we are going with, but my guess is that $200 in food will be enough. To avoid buying 3 passes, does anyone not use the guest pass? I'd be willing to buy it off someone. I guess I can also buy a third pass and sell the pass that is redeemable for food and keep the companion for myself.

If anyone doesn't need the companion pass let me know,

A $25 increase in price but no increase in food credit. AFAIK in the past you always got food credit that was equivalent to the cost of the pass, now there is $25 surcharge for access to the express line. I'm still going to do it because there is no other way to manage the wait times, but if this time I am paying a sum that is directly attributable to the express line they should be making sure it is truly express.

Mambwe, you can always pay cash once you run out of Fastpass credits so why not buy just two and hand the passes around to get everyone through the line. Seems better than spending another $125 for only $100 more worth of food.

Edited by zEli173 (log)

• 2 months later...

Just got the list of pitmasters for this year:

• Ken Bosley

Moonlite Bar-B-Q Inn, Owensboro, KY

• Ken Callaghan

Blue Smoke, New York, NY

• Pete Daversa

Hill Country, New York, NY

• Joe Duncan

Baker’s Ribs, Dallas, TX

• Big Lou Elrose

Wildwood Barbeque, New York, NY

• Jimmy Hagood

BlackJack BBQ, Charleston, SC

• Tommy Houston

Checkered Pig, Martinsville, VA

• Chris Lilly

Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q, Decatur, AL

• Patrick Martin

Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint, Nashville, TN

• Mike Mills

17th Street Bar & Grill / Memphis Championship Barbecue / Murphysboro, Illinois / Las Vegas, NV

• Ed Mitchell

The Pit, Raleigh, NC

• Myron Mixon

Jack’s Old South, Unadilla, GA

• Garry Roark

Ubon’s Barbecue of Yazoo, Yazoo City, MS

• Drew Robinson

Jim ‘N Nick’s Bar-B-Q

• Michael Rodriguez

The Salt Lick BBQ, Driftwood, TX

• Skip Steele

Pappy’s Smokehouse, St. Louis, MO

• John Stage

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, New York, NY

• John Wheeler

Rack & Soul, New York, NY

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Moonlite Bar-B-Q Inn! Have they been to the BABBP before? I wonder if they'll do mutton. That might be enough for me to come down again.

They are indeed doing mutton. I just feel a bit over this whole shebang. Sad...but, true.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm pretty impressed with this year's pitmaster lineup. It represents a distinct improvement, which isn't easy when the bar has already been set so high.

I'm pretty impressed with this year's pitmaster lineup. It represents a distinct improvement, which isn't easy when the bar has already been set so high.

I have no problem with the pitmaster lineup. I have a problem with the logistics and crowds. Of course, I still might make my way down there some late afternoon to try some of the stuff that hasn't been here in past years.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?