• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garces Trading Co.

I almost feel like I'm poking a bear here, but I have to ask - has anyone been? I'm a little surprised about the lack of discussion about its recent opening. It's a beautiful space and based on several trips by it looks like they're booming. I'm wondering if the silence isn't due in part with their involvement with the PLCB. Several bar-owner friends of mine have expressed chagrin over the relationship, feeling like they're getting advantages over competition, etc.

Anyone?

"He was a bold man that first eat an oyster." -Jonathan Swift

Went for lunch and a look-see this past Saturday. Short version: really enjoyed the food and the vibe, really sad I don't live two blocks away from there anymore (though that way poverty/massive weight gain lies). Didn't check out the wine store, but the cheese/charcuterie/oil/vinegar market area seemed competitively priced with places like DiBruno, Salumeria, etc. My favorite part of the market was the small tanks of olive oil and vinegar, with spigots so you can taste before buying.

Long version: blogged about it.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

We were there for lunch too this Saturday and all in all it was very good. When we got there it was a bit of a wait for a table so we walked around, sampling some olive oils. The olive oils were nice to try but they ran out of the bread to try the oils with. I see that Garces stole one of the cheesemongers from DiBruno's and he recognized us and gave us some cheese to sample as well, and then we sampled some type of sausage that was sitting out on the counter that was excellent. When we got seated a few minutes later, we tried the monte cabra cheese along with yummy jamon iberico, eggplant, and roasted pepper antipasti. I had the Moroccan sandwich which was good (albiet a bit bland), but the lamb was rare and delicious. Also good was the Margherita pizza with sweet tasting cheese and baby basil leaves which was crisp on the bottom and quite good, better than Stella's droopy pie, if you ask me. The desserts were good but not great. I had part of a chocolate mouse cake, a Marjolaine (almond daquoise, chocolate ganache, coffee buttercream), and a few cannelles. The bread and olive oil they served with the meal was great, and they have that same sparkling water from the Garrotxa region of Spain that I really like. The service was a bit harried and our waiter was in desperate need of a breath mint, but I wasn't bent out of shape figuring it was the opening weekend and they did not know what to expect. Our meal did take over an hour and a half though, but it was enjoyable just to sit and watch what people were eating. At the end of the meal we tried to get some of the sausage to go but the line was just moving too slowly with people asking to sample this and that and too little help.

All in all it was a good lunch and I look forward to returning. I just worry that the place is too popular from the get-go, and with the narrow aisle around the restaurant, people will get frustrated.

They didn't run out of bread, they expect you to shoot the oil/vinegar using the little paper cups (I know because I asked).

reposted from the Midtown Lunch forum:

BANGIN!

Just opened today. It's a nice big open space with sit-down service or takeout sammies, pizza, etc. The wine boutique is a little odd and it seems to me that it would be beneficial to open up the bar with some stools and beers, but maybe it was just not open cause it was the first day.

Chef Vetri was in attendance to give props to his buddy, who was sternly managing the pass but taking time to pose for photos with celeb-hungry lunchers. Also in attendance were people whose last names were Money, a dude that looked like he managed the construction of the place, and me and my scruffy buddy, all jazzed about a new CC lunch spot.

When you walk in there's a long counter for cheese and charcuterie punctuated by a sammich-ordering station.

There's a whole array of olive oils and vinegars that you're supposed to sample out of little paper cups. You hang around and taste the tastes, while people behind the counter ask a few times if you've been helped, and eventually you get a bangin' sandwich.

The prices are 9-10 dollars and this is where things get tricky. This is a once-per paycheck sandwich, whereas Old Nelson is definitely around a 4 hits every two weeks. This sandwich was killer all around (the Italian, and my buddy got the Spaniard), but when you get back to your cube and you open it up, and there's no chips, no pickle and you realize that you forgot to buy a drink, 10$ seems like a lot for a takeout sandwich.

My broke-ass aside (Marc Vetri has the rest of my money, damn him) this is a killer sandwich. The brioche was fresh and crunchy, the hot coppa was either in very small quantities or missing, but the sandwich was fine with bresaola and warm taleggio, some peppery greens and lemon confit for a tang. Just a great great sandwich.

Feb 16th 2010 at 3:04 pm

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

I've been to GTC twice this week--once for coffee and to play amongst the meat and cheese and another time, today, for lunch. We went on Thursday when I had an unanticipated (and entirely unnecessary) snow day. We popped in around 2:30 for a leisurely cafe au lait and the family style table in front of the cash register. This table is separate from the actual eating area. We enjoyed the coffees and the pleasant service from the gentlemen behind the register.

After the coffee we perused the cheese and meat selections--the cheesemonger with big glasses was especially helpful. The guy at the meat counter was a bit, how can I say it...odd? He was helpful yet less effusive than the cheese guy. I got a delicious monje cheese with a sausage (forget what kind--I don't eat pork, it was for my husband) and a thin ficelle. We then popped into the glass encased wine room and chatted with the friendly PLCB workers (an oxy-moron usually, but these ladies were extremely pleasant and helpful!) My friend bought two reds and I bought a bottle of port and a lambruso--I've been searching for a good one since our time in Emilia-Romagna in 2008. Overall we were there for about two hours just hanging out and chatting with the staff.

Today's lunch was pleasant as well. We got a table for three immediately. We ordered two sandwiches: the spaniard with grilled chicken, bacon, romesco aioli, manchego

cheese, romaine and tartine aux fromages with brioche, tomes crayeuse, marinated tomato (copied from menu.) The sandwiches were tasty and VERY different. The spaniard was served on a chewy seeded long roll and the tartine on a slice of brioche. We both loooved the tartine but would have been happier with a slightly larger portion. Both sandwiches came with a side salad of (I think) roasted pepper and garlic? We also received a tasty sourdough with olive oil and salt when we arrived.

I haven't had any of their sweets, but my friend is obsessed with their muffins. Their pastries and cookies look delicious, especially the lemon ricotta cookies, grapefruit macaroons and madelines, which you can order by the dozen (and possibly half dozen.) I will definitely be returning!