• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Couscous In Paris

AdamLawrence

I recommend Darkoum near the old Bibliotheque Nationale, off rue des Petites Champs, 44 rue Sainte-Anne, 75002 Paris 01-42 96 83 76, 42 96 59 97. I have been going there for years and have always enjoyed my meals. No spectacular fusion razz matazz, but solid Moroccan food well-presented and served. At lunch it tends to be quiet, not crowded, and relaxing. At dinner, when I have never been, there can be music and belly-dancing, which is when I suspect they make their money.

It is around the corner from WILLI’S Wine bar 13, rue des petits champs Métro Palais Royal, 20 A 35 € Tél. 01 42 61 05 09. One of Willi's great appeals is if you want to have a good late lunch, past the normal serving hours, they will serve you at the bar.

I realize that the Palais Royale metro stop is not on any direct Montparnasse line, but you can change at Concorde for line 1.

And the owner Fatima is so beautiful.

To me Mansoria is contemporary even though it is decorated in a Morrocan style. It's also sort of intimate. Timgad has more of the old school North African casbah style and is brighter and glitzier. They each serve their own purpose. Actually the little neighborhood Mansouria is in is a treasure trove for foodies. One of the best SW bistros in Paris, A Souseyrac, is right down the street. And another good bistro Le Chardenoux is around the corner. And the wine bar Le Passage, which has a stellar collection of Rhone wines and serves a half dozen artisinal andouille sausage is on the next block.

And the owner Fatima is so beautiful.

To me Mansoria is contemporary even though it is decorated in a Morrocan style. It's also sort of intimate. Timgad has more of the old school North African casbah style and is brighter and glitzier. They each serve their own purpose. Actually the little neighborhood Mansouria is in is a treasure trove for foodies. One of the best SW bistros in Paris, A Souseyrac, is right down the street. And another good bistro Le Chardenoux is around the corner. And the wine bar Le Passage, which has a stellar collection of Rhone wines and serves a half dozen artisinal andouille sausage is on the next block.

It seems you do know Paris. My first love was an American who lives in Paris and is critical to the prestige of the Louvre. It makes a great story for an American has charmed these people so entirely. In fact thye now have lost anything American about them. It was through them that doors in Paris that would be shut to non French speakers opened with grace and dignity for me. I was taken by one of the many ladies who was trying to take the "young Indian man" out about town.

Couscous in Paris was even tastier than many preparations I have eaten across Morocco. :shock: Do you find that to be true Steve?

What wines do you drink with couscous??

PS: You have still not answered my question on the Diwan thread... :angry::rolleyes:

Edited by Suvir Saran (log)

I think spicy rose is good with North African food. Tavel in particular. Last time I had N.A. food in Paris I had a rose from Val Joannis which is a Cote de Luberon and it was terrific. But if you want to drink red wine, a spicy Rhone wine with high acidity will stand up to both the spicing as well as the fattiness from the chunks of lamb in the bouillon that accompanies the couscous. I love that bouillon. It is among the world's best soul food. A good one is so fragrant and has such great body to the broth. And remember I can't eat the couscous. Only the tagines and the grills plus the bouillon. But I really don't miss the semolina. I make myself a big bowl of the bouillon and add chickpeas and hot sauce. And my favorite way of eating it is to have a tagine of lamb plus prunes and almonds with it. The sweetness of the tagine and the spiciness of the bouiilon is absolutely heavenly.

• 1 month later...

Late post, I know, but I couldn't resist. La Mansouria is excellent, and Fatema Hal the owner and chef is so charming. All the three-star chefs in Paris want to get their hands on her couscous recipes. Her books are interesting , and she's just released her own line of couscous and teas (try the The d'Absinthe!) for sale at Lafayette Gourmet and Fauchon.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

• 8 years later...

Just updating an old thread...

Had some very fine couscous & tagine recently at:

Dar Lyakout

94 boulevard de la Tour Maubourg

75007 Paris

01-45-50-16-16

In the École Militaire area.

I can't suggest it highly enough and have been to most every other recommended Paris place; many expensive and underwhelming (it's still Paris tho')...

Dar Lyakout was excellent.

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...