• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

I don't know that there's much of a place for heavy cleavers in the home kitchen. Or in a professional kitchen. Or even a butcher shop. (Most butchers that need to cut through bone are going to use a saw.) The one place where I think a more robust cleaver may come in handy is in finishing some Asian poultry preparations that involve cutting (hacking) cooked chicken or duck legs... but apart from those, I can't think of when I'd use one. I do know that if I *did* want to get one, I'd buy one of the heavier CCK cleavers like their bone chopper.

In my kitchen, the thing that's closest to a cleaver and does all of my dirty jobs is a Tojiro DP 240mm western deba. It's shaped like a French chef's knife, but it's half a centimeter thick and weighs almost a full pound. It slays. 

btbyrd

btbyrd

I don't know that there's much of a place for heavy cleavers in the home kitchen. Or in a professional kitchen. Or even a butcher shop. (Most butchers that need to cut through bone are going to use a saw.) The one place where I think a more robust cleaver may come in handy is in finishing some Asian poultry preparations that involve cutting (hacking) cooked chicken or duck legs... but apart from those, I can't think of when I'd use one. I do know that if I *did* want to get one, I'd buy one of the heavier CCK cleavers like their bone chopper.

In my kitchen, the thing that's closest to a cleaver and does all of my dirty jobs is a Tojiro DP 240mm western deba. It's shaped like a French chef's knife, but it's half a centimeter thick and weighs almost a full pound. It slays.