• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanilla Bean Paste

Katie Meadow

Vanilla extract and vanilla beans I always have on hand. I was just informed I am being sent some Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla bean paste as a freebie due to a mixed up order. Why would I use it instead of beans or extract? I don't recall ever seeing a recipe that specified paste...

one thing i really like about the paste is the terrific flecked appearance of batters or custards. creme brulee, for example, has the flecks throughout the custard, and to me, that appearance enhances the vanilla flavor of the food, at least psychologically.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Scroll down and read the reviews at KAF. Some good ideas there.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/vanilla-bean-paste-4-oz

And here is a blogger who found it very useful.

http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2009/04/vanilla-bean-paste.html

I use it in custards, especially one I make with a sweet sherry and I start by thinning the paste with the sherry before adding it to the egg mixture.

I use this particular custard mixture to make a special bread pudding.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

It's extremely close in flavor to the best quality beans, without the storage hassles. It also saves a bit of time, since you don't need to cut open and scrape beans. So, it's useful for high volume production in terms of time-savings, and home use because you never have to worry about dried out old beans.

OMG! I just ot a jar of it at the Baker's Store in Norwich VT and am now using it where the flavor of vanilla really matters (almost everywhere) - you can use it in place of vanilla extract, in equal quantity, or combine with extract half-and-half. It's just exquisite!

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

I prefer it to the extract by 100%. I use it in everything that calls for extract... beautiful in custards and ice creams... but I still like to use the beans, too. The paste is sweet, but usually this concentration of vanilla is used in sweet items, so it doesn't seem to affect the sweetness of anything I use it in. I love it!

Make it Happen

Valerie: A Canadian Foodie

Email me

http://www.acanadianfoodie.com

I love my Thermomix!

I use it anytime vanilla is the prominent flavour. I find it imparts more flavour than just using the seeds. The seeds are suspended in a corn syrup base and I think this is why the flavour is stronger. As well as using it in scones, custards, buttercreams, shortbread etc. my supplier tells me that it is excellent with salmon, scallops and in potato dishes.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Okay, it sounds promising. If a one-to-one substitution of paste for extract works, as one poster suggested above, what about subbing paste for a whole vanilla bean? Lots of recipes call for a split vanilla bean cooked in milk, then the seeds scraped out. What would an equivalent of paste be for one bean?

Okay, it sounds promising. If a one-to-one substitution of paste for extract works, as one poster suggested above, what about subbing paste for a whole vanilla bean? Lots of recipes call for a split vanilla bean cooked in milk, then the seeds scraped out. What would an equivalent of paste be for one bean?

I use a genrous rounded teaspoon (not a measuring spoon, a regular teaspoon) I just compared it to a measuring teaspoon and it holds 1 + 1/8 liquid so I would estimate that the rounded measure I end up with, dragging the spoon on the inside of the jar, would be close to 2 teaspoons.

That amount seems to work well for me in recipes that specify one teaspoon of vanilla extract - I usually add more of the latter because I like a stronger vanilla flavor, especially in the egg-based dishes. I also used it in a caramel sauce and used two full teaspoons for 3 1/2 cups of sauce. (kept notes that time)

I also have some homemade vanilla paste that I made last fall and I think it is stronger than the commercial ones I got from KAF and Beanilla.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I got a sample of Tahitian Gold's vanilla bean paste at the Fancy Food show. It doesn't contain any sugar - I think the Nielsen-Massey one does doesn't it?

I also got a sample of whole vanilla bean powder. The aroma is amazing. It is just ground vanilla beans. Has anyone tried this product yet? What applications are best for the powder vs. the paste?

I got a sample of Tahitian Gold's vanilla bean paste at the Fancy Food show. It doesn't contain any sugar - I think the Nielsen-Massey one does doesn't it?

I also got a sample of whole vanilla bean powder. The aroma is amazing. It is just ground vanilla beans. Has anyone tried this product yet? What applications are best for the powder vs. the paste?

Yes, I love to try anything "different." I ordered some of the ground vanilla beans from Boston Vanilla Bean co. https://www.bostonvanillabeans.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=594

It was okay - I tried mixing it with various sugars, with salt and it worked well for me in certain applications - I also mixed it into the dry ingredients when using it in some baked goods, but didn't like the results as much as with regular extract or the paste.

I had the most success in mixing the powder with soft butter, then melting it. I mixed it with warm/hot syrup - otherwise it sort of floated on top of the liquid.

I think the best application was when mixed (sparingly) with coarse or sanding sugar, sprinkled on top of custard and then caramelized.

I also have some homemade vanilla paste that I made last fall and I think it is stronger than the commercial ones I got from KAF and Beanilla.

Andie,

Please, tell us how you make vanilla paste? Thanks,

Tim

Andie,

Please, tell us how you make vanilla paste? Thanks,

Tim

I posted it in the Make your own vanilla extract thread.

Scroll down to # 108

I used half "used" beans and half fresh beans a total of twenty beans.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Have you shared your recipe for this, or will you please - and I do have a Thermomix if you use yours to make it. Thanks!Eager to make my own!(but beans here are about 4-6 Canadian dollars each)

Oh - just found the answer that you have already posted your recipe above. Thank you... I had read that strand in the fall, and then went on a huge Vanilla Bean search. Outrageous to get a bundle here direct from Indonesia, or any other country. I couldn't find any on ebay at the time. I will try again.

Edited by A Canadian Foodie (log)

Make it Happen

Email me

I love my Thermomix!

Valerie, Beanilla ships to Canada.

http://www.beanilla.com/vanilla-beans-c-1.html

My friend in Niagara Falls buys from them. I have purchased from them. (I think I have tried just about every online vendor who sells vanilla beans.)

I bought their 8-variety sampler, 10 beans each. And then ordered a pound of the Mexican beans. Excellent quality.

My friend in Niagara Falls buys from them. I have purchased from them. (I think I have tried just about every online vendor who sells vanilla beans.)

I bought their 8-variety sampler, 10 beans each. And then ordered a pound of the Mexican beans. Excellent quality.

I love Beanilla - great customer service and top quality beans. I ordered their Madagascar - excellent.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I love Beanilla - great customer service and top quality beans. I ordered their Madagascar - excellent.

Their customer service is excellent!

In fact, I had phoned about something, can't recall what, and the person to whom I spoke said that they were getting read to offer the larger sampler of the 8 varieties and would I be interested. I jumped at the chance and was very pleased. A short time later it went up on their web site. They had offered smaller samplers (and fewer varieties) for much lower prices. That gave me the chance to try blends of various types for my extracts.

Even the delivery guy noticed the aroma from the package. Everything was sealed well but the aroma did permeate the box and the air around it.

Thank you so much!!!!

Make it Happen

Email me

I love my Thermomix!

• 2 years later...