• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Fine Dining Restaraunt in NJ

Teddy Devico

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Would you share with me and others what you consider "Fine Dining"? To me -- places like The Saddle River Inn and the Dining Room at the Manor are fine dining.

Customers dress well. Food is impeccable. Table service is done by professionals. Place settings --- hardware, china, glassware --- are high quality. Wine service is is 4 star whether they have a wine list or not.

I love Blu in Montclair but I would not call it "Fine Dining".

Love to hear.

Viejo

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).

• 4 months later...

sorry but for "really fine dining" I go to NYC. We have had so many disappointments at places like Nicholas (beef on a number of occasions full of fat and gristle...this is the best in NJ??)...how about a wine bar in New Brunswick with no white wine that was not super dry??

I have been sad about this for years...but too many dreadful experiences that are quite costly are just a turnoff.... :hmmm::sad:

I have not had a chance to write about the perfect dinner with my sister- however, I can say, this -- add PICNIC of Fair Lawn to the Fine Dining in New Jersey Circle!!!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

This is the precise reason I left New Jersey and never went back. Mind you I love my home state, from the beaches to the mountains, from the farms to the wet lands, small towns, big cities; everything a person could want. . . except for a sense of a culture of it's own. New York city sucks every bit of the life out of the Garden State. An up and comer either migrates there or leaves the tri-state area all together.

What we do here artistically may be beneath Manhattan's notice, but I remember the days when one went to "The City" only for CB-GB's and it's attendant narcotics. A little humility please, Empire State.

Cafe Matisse is an exceptional experience. 3,4 or 5 course prix-fixe menu that IMHO is worth every penny. Service is extremely attentive --- and it is BYOB - so champagnes and wines to your liking with no corkage fees. I have been there twice and look forward to a special occassion to return.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Would you share with me and others what you consider "Fine Dining"? To me -- places like The Saddle River Inn and the Dining Room at the Manor are fine dining.

Customers dress well. Food is impeccable. Table service is done by professionals. Place settings --- hardware, china, glassware --- are high quality. Wine service is is 4 star whether they have a wine list or not.

I love Blu in Montclair but I would not call it "Fine Dining".

Love to hear.

Viejo

I agree -- fine dining is about the food, the service, ambiance, environment, tone, etc. You can find excellent food in a "dump" of a restaurant, and you can find poor food in castle.

That said, I think The Manor, Highlawn Pavillion, The Saddle River Inn, and others, fill the order for fine dining. Sure, this could certainly be subjective, but for example, when I am looking for "fine dining" and I want steak, to me, The Assembly (Englewood Cliffs) was always fine dining. Excellent food, service, ambiance, etc. To others that place might not be, or might be lacking in certain areas. Some might say the same thing about The River Palm.

Regardless, thanks for the comments, good thread.