• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Books by bakers?

blurby

I'm just finishing (and very much enjoying) Ruhlman's The Making of a Chef. I think of myself as more of a baker and, of course, my favorite chapter was the skinny bit he had on his time spent in bread baking. I'd love to find a similar book more focused on the experience of a baker. Preferably a bread baker although pastry in general would be interesting.

Any suggestions?

Spiced by Pastry Chef Dahlia Jurgensen is a good read. Here's a review by the New York Daily News: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/food/2009/04/10/2009-04-10_pastry_chef_dalia_jurgensen_pens_a_notsosweet_memoir.html

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I hesitate to call the books that Reinhart has published "cookbooks," but I suppose in the strictest sense of the word, they are. Cookbooks have traditionally been full of recipes that people blindly follow with no idea of the how's or why's of cooking (or baking). Each of the Reinhart books I own spends a good deal of time talking about the science of bread baking before any recipes start showing up. Thus my reticence to call them cookbooks.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Another book I would suggest is Confections of a Master Closet Baker by Gesine Bullock-Prado. http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=confections+of+a+closet+master+baker&sprefix=confection It's definitely a lighter read than Spiced but they take a look at baking from two completely different directions.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Hi Blurby, here is a list of pretty much all the US books about the experience of pastry chefs. Take note that I haven't really read any of these (some browsed).

1. Baking Boot Camp: Five Days of Basic Training at The Culinary Institute of America

2. The Making of a Pastry Chef: Recipes and Inspiration from America's Best Pastry Chefs

3. Spiced: A Pastry Chef's True Stories of Trials by Fire, After-Hours Exploits, and What Really Goes on in the Kitchen

4. Career Diary of a Pastry Chef: Gardner's Guide Series

5. Ace of Cakes: Inside the World of Charm City Cakes (eh...)

6. Confections of a Closet Master Baker: One Woman's Sweet Journey from Unhappy Hollywood Executive to Contented Country Baker

As you can see, there's not a whole lot, but they are out there!

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Hi Blurby, here is a list of pretty much all the US books about the experience of pastry chefs. Take note that I haven't really read any of these (some browsed).

1. Baking Boot Camp: Five Days of Basic Training at The Culinary Institute of America

2. The Making of a Pastry Chef: Recipes and Inspiration from America's Best Pastry Chefs

3. Spiced: A Pastry Chef's True Stories of Trials by Fire, After-Hours Exploits, and What Really Goes on in the Kitchen

4. Career Diary of a Pastry Chef: Gardner's Guide Series

5. Ace of Cakes: Inside the World of Charm City Cakes (eh...)

6. Confections of a Closet Master Baker: One Woman's Sweet Journey from Unhappy Hollywood Executive to Contented Country Baker

As you can see, there's not a whole lot, but they are out there!

Great list! I'll start looking into these.

To all those who mentioned Reinhart: I have BBA and enjoy his writing, though it isn't quite the retelling that I have in mind. I also enjoyed the introductory text of Bread Alone

To all those who mentioned Reinhart: I have BBA and enjoy his writing, though it isn't quite the retelling that I have in mind. I also enjoyed the introductory text of Bread Alone

You might be interested in his description of the progression of his baking thinking ("A Baker's Journey back to Whole Grains") on pages 5 to 23 of his Whole Grains book,

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Another book I would suggest is Confections of a Master Closet Baker by Gesine Bullock-Prado. http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=confections+of+a+closet+master+baker&sprefix=confection It's definitely a lighter read than Spiced but they take a look at baking from two completely different directions.

I was just going to recommend this. Gesine's recipes are wonderful and her memoir is charming and well-written. The apfelkuchen is the most perfect treat for a chilly afternoon. There are also a lot more recpies on her blog.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child