• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good save!

blurby

I'm always saving random stuff because of my neurosis around throwing away food. Often I have no idea what I'll use it for (and throw it away eventually anyway) but other times it turns out to be a miracle ingredient in my fridge.

For example, last week I made a lamb curry where ground lamb was added to an already heavily spiced base and then allowed to stew for a while. Later it was clear that an undesirable amount of fat had rendered out, so I poured off the gravy, chilled it, scraped off about half a cup of heavily spiced solidified lamb fat, and then returned the gravy to the curry.

I couldn't throw away the fat of course so I popped it in the fridge. Today I decide to use it in place of butter when scrambling eggs - amazing! Soft lamb flavor and a very nicely spicy but not overtly 'Indian' profile. I'm thrilled I've got a sizable chunk of the stuff left!

What about you? What have you saved without knowing how good it would be?

Fats, I like to keep around for as long as possible. I had some chicken fat left over from soup-making and fried up some eggs and chicken with it a couple weeks back.

Duck fat, pork fat, fat, fat, fat. All good! Keeps well, at least.

And rice. I keep rice around because it's a good insta-fry with anything.

That's about all I can think of though. I definitely have stuff in my fridge I need to toss though. Stuff I'd hoped to use eventually, but never did...

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Fats, braising liquids, sauces that freeze well, rice. I've also got bags in the freezer for various bones, trimmings, and desirable vegetable peelings and scraps for stock.

One of the nicer uses of leftovers recently was a salad I made with leftover black rice, surplus cooked white beans from a cassoulet, lots of chopped flat parsley, olive oil, and seedless mandarin slices.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

I had kind of a revelation like that, just this morning. Yesterday, I made myself a pot of oatmeal, for breakfast. It was good, raisins, walnuts, and a mix of Scottish and regular rolled oats. I had about a half a cup left coagulated into the bottom of the pot sitting there looking...well, like cold oatmeal looks. I said to myself, "hey, I read on eGullet that you can reheat this stuff...and it sure would be better than a crummy granola bar on the way out the door tomorrow." So, I saved it.

Wouldn't ya know it? I warmed it in the microwave, with a bit of water added, topped with my usual honey and half and half, and it was excellent. As good as it was yesterday. Glad I didn't toss it.

I have adopted a habit my mother had of keeping a one-quart plastic container in the freezer in which I put all kinds of odds and ends of vegetables and meat. When it's full, I can thaw it, add a couple of cans of tomatoes and/or some stock, and have a great, quick, extremely cheap vegetable soup or stew.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have adopted a habit my mother had of keeping a one-quart plastic container in the freezer in which I put all kinds of odds and ends of vegetables and meat. When it's full, I can thaw it, add a couple of cans of tomatoes and/or some stock, and have a great, quick, extremely cheap vegetable soup or stew.

Now that is brilliant. I am going to steal your idea and use it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Now that is brilliant. I am going to steal your idea and use it.

Please do! Mama would be pleased.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com