• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Rice Cake Recipe

ravenshadow13

I've been searching on Google for over an hour and I cannot locate what I'm looking for. I am on the hunt for a rice cake recipe. Not rice cake as in mochi, rice cake as in cake of puffed rice, such as sold by companies like Quaker. Is it possible to make homemade rice cakes? And if so, can you direct me to a recipe?

The rice in commercial rice cakes is puffed or popped right in the mold and there is no way to produce them in a home kitchen that is any way like the commercial version which is made only with rice (sticky or short-grain) and water - flavors added later.

Here is a description of how the product is made:

http://www.enotes.com/how-products-encyclopedia/rice-cake

All rice, wheat or other puffed cereal "cakes" made at home require the use of a sticky agent, sugar, honey, syrup, with butter, which is cooked and then mixed with the cereal which is then pressed into a slab and cut into portions.

These are not low calorie in any sense of the word.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett