• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

converting white rice to brown in Mastering Vol2 Tian de courgettes

pstock

One of my favourite dishes from Master the Art is from Vol2, p 271, Tian de Courgettes au Riz.

I would like however to use brown rice instead of the white it calls for.

the original calls for 1 cup of white rice boiled in a large quantity of water for exactly 5 minutes and then drained. it is then cooked along with other stuff with 2.5C of hot liquid.

So, how to convert this?

First how long to parboil?

if 5 minutes is a little less than 1/3 the standard 18 minutes cooking time for white rice would I parboil the brown rice for 1/3 the standard 45 minutes for brown (so, 15minutes?)

or would you parboil until ... 13 minutes (18-5) from it being fully cooked, so 45-13 = 32min?

Second, how much liquid to use in the final cooking process (along with 2C zuchinni, minced onions, )

instead of 2.5 cups,More?

thanks

any quick suggestions would be appreciated as this is for this evening.

Peter

I do not have my book available, but my feeling is that you want to work backwards. I would think that the other ingredients should not cook the extra time that it takes to get the brown rice done. Knowing your brown rice, I would get it to the point that the final cooking time of the dish will be per the recipe. By that time I think the liquid per the recipe will be ok.

I have a recipe for a Persian rice dish that also involves parboiling, with a note for converting to brown rice. It says, parboil the brown rice 12-15 minutes (basically until it's as cooked as the white rice would have been after its boil), then proceed with the rest of the recipe as written.

Thanks both.

In the end I half-cooked the brown rice in a rice cooker with excess water and tried working backwards from the end point, as suggested.

Finally result was a hit, but I noticed the cooking liquid (zuchinni juice + milk) didn't seem to be absorbed quite as thoroughly as it was in the white rice version.

That might have been a function of some characteristic of brown rice or I might have screwed up my timing and measures.

I will have to try it again another time when I am less harried and pay closer attention.

thanks though.

Peter