• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Intermediate salmon cooking question

j45rpm

Hi all. I've gotten the hang of cooking salmon in two ways. The first way I know to cook salmon is to pan sear it, getting a very nice crust on the top.

The second way is to put it on a bed of sliced mushrooms, pour teriyaki sauce on top, and stick it in the oven and bake it.

I'd like to combine those methods-I'd like to get a nice crust on it, but then get the teriyaki flavor on it and bake it in the oven, but I'm concerned about overcooking my salmon. Is it as simple as just pansearing the presentation side for the crust, then putting it skinside down on a sheet pan, pouring on the teriyaki sauce, and baking it, or would that result in a dry, overcooked fish?

The skin crisps up pretty quick, I usually pop a salmon into the oven to finish it but then again I also prefer my salmon a little bit firmer then most.

You could take the skin off just sear that on its own and merge in the end putting it on top of the teriyaki. I did that once with a chicken breast.

One thing I like to do with fish skin is to put them oiled, flat in a cold pan and then place another heavy pan on top. Turn on the heat and cook until brown and you get a perfect, flat, crisp fish chip.

Here's an example of a Halibut en Papillote with Crispy Halibut Skin 436028709_b823b9ce77_o.jpg

PS: I am a guy.

For a teriyaki style preparation I would marinate your salmon in the teriyaki sauce first. I like to marinate it for no more than two hours. Then I pat off most of the marinade before I get ready to cook it. I do this because most teriyaki sauces have a high sugar content and if you put the salmon straight into the oven with lots of sauce on it the sugars might burn and char and you could be left with a sticky, burned mess.

I turn my oven up as high as it will go, that's 550 degrees, and then I roast the salmon for about 7-8 minutes. That will cook a thick filet to about medium-rare. I usually don't leave the skin on, but if I do, I would then turn on the broiler and crisp the skin for about 30 or 45 seconds.

Once I remove the salmon from the oven then I brush on more teriyaki sauce. With this method I get the teriyaki flavor into the salmon when it marinates and back on the salmon after it's cooked, just not on the salmon because the sauce could burn.

If you get a little experienced with one of those small kitchen torches, they are a great tool for crisping the skin on salmon.

Wow-that looks really good, Shalmanese. I may need to give that a try–thanks!

And thanks for your advice, David. I am definitely going to try that preparation as soon as I can get my hands on a good piece of salmon! Sunday or Monday, methinks. That sounds like a great way of cooking it.

Edited by Jed Sorokin-Altmann (log)