• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
aidensnd

Mol d'Art Melter, lid on or off for melting?

Just a quick question. When using the Mol d'Art melters do you leave the lid on or off for an overnight melt? I suppose I'm worried about condensation with the lid on but would prefer to have it on as I don't like the idea of leaving all the choc uncovered all night.

Thanks in advance.

Lid on. There will be no condensation. Remember, there is no liquid in chocolate...

Chocolate = cocoa solids + cocoa butter (+ maybe vanilla and lecithin!)

I think there is a miniscule amount of water in chocolate. However there is also some in the air... I guess if it is really dry it would be fine to keep the lid off but if not always do everything to protect your chocolate from moisture in the air. I once left the lid on, and left my chocolate like that for a week and it got moisture and was grainy. So don'tleave it like that even with the lid on and even when it hardens...

Do you always pour out your chocolate at the end? What do you people do? Leave it in the melter or temperer or pour out and then store? I sometimes do leave it in-I am lazy! I cover it with nylon stretch really well, put the lid on and cover the melter/machine in a garbage bag-tucked in and under. :raz: probably easier to just pour out!!!

Edited by Lior (log)

Do you always pour out your chocolate at the end? What do you people do? Leave it in the melter or temperer or pour out and then store? I sometimes do leave it in-I am lazy! I cover it with nylon stretch really well, put the lid on and cover the melter/machine in a garbage bag-tucked in and under. :raz: probably easier to just pour out!!!

I've usually poured out what's left. Sometimes into my spare melter bowl.

I don't pour mine out - lid on and that's it. I've never had any issues. At the end of a holiday I will let the milk chocolate get low and pour it out and use it for making ganache (I find it gets slightly thicker after many, many, uses). I don't do that as often for the dark. I did get grainy chocolate once Ilana but it wasn't in my melter. I melted some in a bowl in the oven on low setting but I left it in too long and it got grainy.

I use lid on when melting overnight. If your chocolate is at room temperature when you begin, there won't be any condensation.

At the end of the work day, I pour out my remaining chocolate into a spare melter pan lined with parchment and chill. The resulting block of chocolate fits perfectly into the melter next time I need it.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

nice ideas! Perhaps the humidity here is worse. We are having now having hotter weather than ever for this month. At least since 1942! It is t shirt weather. But at least it is dry- Great for chocolate!

I leave the lid on when melting because I don't want heat escaping. At the end of the day I put the heat up and the lid on and leave!! I might not be back for 2 or 3 days and the chocolate is fine. Just need to stir well and temper properly!

Sign in to follow this