• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mol d'art melters

Aria

Thanks for that info! Yhe buy it now price seems higher than the new price from Mol d'art=350 euro!! I guess it is the shipping you save on.

Going price for a new 6 kg melter in the US is around $640, and the buy it now price is $550, so for those of us on this side of the pond there's a little discount.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Thanks for that info! Yhe buy it now price seems higher than the new price from Mol d'art=350 euro!! I guess it is the shipping you save on.

Going price for a new 6 kg melter in the US is around $640, and the buy it now price is $550, so for those of us on this side of the pond there's a little discount.

But it's USED unit! So the discount is not very much really.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

But it's USED unit! So the discount is not very much really.

But it's not like these things get much wear and tear on them, what with no moving parts. I expect they last a very long time. So the difference between used and new is really small.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

• 10 months later...

Just a quick question. When using the Mol d'Art melters do you leave the lid on or off for an overnight melt? I suppose I'm worried about condensation with the lid on but would prefer to have it on as I don't like the idea of leaving all the choc uncovered all night.

Thanks in advance.

I think there is a miniscule amount of water in chocolate. However there is also some in the air... I guess if it is really dry it would be fine to keep the lid off but if not always do everything to protect your chocolate from moisture in the air. I once left the lid on, and left my chocolate like that for a week and it got moisture and was grainy. So don'tleave it like that even with the lid on and even when it hardens...

Do you always pour out your chocolate at the end? What do you people do? Leave it in the melter or temperer or pour out and then store? I sometimes do leave it in-I am lazy! I cover it with nylon stretch really well, put the lid on and cover the melter/machine in a garbage bag-tucked in and under. :raz: probably easier to just pour out!!!

Edited by Lior (log)

Do you always pour out your chocolate at the end? What do you people do? Leave it in the melter or temperer or pour out and then store? I sometimes do leave it in-I am lazy! I cover it with nylon stretch really well, put the lid on and cover the melter/machine in a garbage bag-tucked in and under. :raz: probably easier to just pour out!!!

I've usually poured out what's left. Sometimes into my spare melter bowl.

I don't pour mine out - lid on and that's it. I've never had any issues. At the end of a holiday I will let the milk chocolate get low and pour it out and use it for making ganache (I find it gets slightly thicker after many, many, uses). I don't do that as often for the dark. I did get grainy chocolate once Ilana but it wasn't in my melter. I melted some in a bowl in the oven on low setting but I left it in too long and it got grainy.

I use lid on when melting overnight. If your chocolate is at room temperature when you begin, there won't be any condensation.

At the end of the work day, I pour out my remaining chocolate into a spare melter pan lined with parchment and chill. The resulting block of chocolate fits perfectly into the melter next time I need it.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 8 years later...

Has anyone successfully replaced the power cord on a mol d' art melter?  Is it easy or do I have to send it somewhere, and if so, where?  Thought I'd check here for DIY info before contacting TCF.

My 6kg melter has reached the point where the cord has to be in that just right position to conduct power, and just right can be elusive.  I've had it for several years so it's seen some use, am hoping it's a simple repair, i.e. can be done with a screwdriver or passed off to one of my handier brothers in exchange for candy.

thanks!

I've got a very handy husband - I'd just hand it over to him and several months later it would come back out of his shop repaired. Does your Mold'art have screws on the bottom that allow you to take it apart? If it does - it should be a quick fix. If rewiring is not something you have done before I might hand it off to the handy brother. 

Does the loose wire seem to be at the plug end or the machine end?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, gfweb said:

Several months later.  Lol @Kerry Beal  Quality cannot be rushed. 

Yeah - don't ask how long the basement has taken so far! You can't rush these things. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

@Kerry Beal  loose at the machine end.  I think the bottom unscrews, didn't actually look! 

Might just be a loose wire and quick fix. Watch for any sign there has been shorting.