• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is the ITHQ worth the wait?

Hello all!

I'm planning on going into a cooking school next school year (2010-2011), and the earliest semester I'd be able to apply for, at the ITHQ, would be the winter semester in 2011. I have the opportunity to apply to PearsonSkills in professional cooking for the Fall semester of 2010 because their application date is later, and I was wondering this:

Would it be better for me, as a person who wants to become a professional chef, to go to the Pearson school, and get my Diploma of Vocational Studies there, since it's only a year long course (1350hrs @ 8hrs/day), as opposed to the year and a half course given by the ITHQ, allowing me to move on quicker, OR is it better for me to wait and go with the ITHQ?

If I did the Pearson School, I would get my diploma in late spring of 2011.

If I went to the ITHQ, I would get the diploma in late spring of 2012.

Is the ITHQ a good enough school for me to wait an extra semester, and get my diploma a year later?

Please feel free to ask any questions!

Thanks