• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for chocolate shops to visit in Paris

Truffle Guy

I'm excited to be invited to attend a 3 day workshop on Bon Bon's at Ecole du Grand Chocolat Tain L'Hermitage at the beginning of March. I've not been to France so I'm spending a few days in Paris before/after the training. I'd really like to visit as many chocolatiers as possible in that time. I plan on visiting Pierre Herme and La Maison Du Chocolat but would love to get any other suggestions that have made impressions on people. I'm most excited about attending the class and learning but the chance to visit the Paris shops will also be a great time and I'd like to start compiling a list so any help would be much appreciatted.

On our last trip to Paris, just wandering around a bit, we stumbled onto a wonderful chocolate shop on the Rue du Cherche-Midi. Of course, I don't remember the exact address, but it's on the other side of the street and not far from Poilâne.

This was the window display...

IMG_1491.jpg

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

i don't eat a lot of chocolate...but people seem to like Gerard Mulot and I've gotten some very nice chocolates at Chaudun Michel. There's also a chocolatier right next to 10 rue Blanche (maybe 12 rue Blanche) which does some very good chocolates. i don't know the name offhand, but it seems like someone once told me it's the oldest in Paris. Don't know if that's the case, but if no one comes up with the name I'll dig it up and repost.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Cacao et Chocolat on Il St. Louis - Mmmmmm. The staff is very informed and there are at least a few delicious samples available. They have a passion for chocolate, a keen sense for marketing, an online store and among other things, the most remarkable chocolate-covered orange peel :wub:

Bringing together the best cocoa varieties from the four corners of the earth, to make products with unusual flavours.

This combination of naturalness and creativity thus gave rise to the core values of Cacao et Chocolat: tasting original flavours while not forgetting the true nature of chocolate. In the world of chocolate making, the brand will not be a follower, but a leader.

Please go to l'Etoile d'Or for Bernachon chocolate and Henri le Roux Caramel-Beurre-Salé (CBS) - both the bite size caramel candies and the caramel in a jar are absolutely amazing.

David Lebovitz's write up on l'Etoile d'Or

and at Pierre Herme don't limit yourself to chocolate. HIs macarons are the best (I'll have this argument if forced to) and there are Christine Ferber jams there too that should not be missed.

Go to a well-stocked library, or spring for the price of and buy, "The Food Lover's Guide to Paris", by Patricia Wells. It would be a tiny fraction of what one spends just to visit Paris, and offers a multitude of great places to check out. Wells lives in France, and really knows her stuff.

Ray

My wife and I did a trip mid-last year. We went to the following and all were good. Jean-Charles Rochoux was my favourite for chocolates, Genin for caramels and Herme for macarons. That said, all were very close to each other and it's really splitting hairs. And some of these shops had beautiful displays of chocolate sculptures - very photo worthy - Rochoux and Chaudun come to mind, as does Roger. Lenotre and Laduree are more pastry than chocolates and Berthillon is only ice cream (but what ice cream - try the chocolate if you get a chance).

Pierre Marcolini

89, rue de Seine

Pierre Herme (more for pastries and macarons)

72, rue Bonaparte

Christian Constant

37, rue d’Assas

Jean-Charles Rochoux

16, rue d’Assas

Laduree (more pastires and macarons)

Ladurée Champs Elysées 75, avenue des Champs Elysées

Berthillon (Ice cream only)

31, rue Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile (4th)

Fauchon (has lots of pastries and a bakery - two stores close by to each other)

30, Place Madeleine 75008

Jean-Paul Hevin

231, rue St-Honoré

Michel Cluizel

201, rue St.-Honoré

Richart

258 bd St Germain Paris 75007

Michel Chaudun

149, rue de l’Université

Patrick Roger

45, avenue Victor Hugo

Lenotre Patisserie (more pastries)

48 Avenue Victor Hugo 75116

La Maison du Chocolat

225, rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré (8th)

Aoki Sadaharu Patissrie

56, Boulevard Port Royal 75005

Jacques Genin

133, rue de Turenne (3rd)

Edited by gap (log)

oh yeah...i forgot that Genin does chocolates. His caramels are the best I've had. Ever! but, the chocolates are damn fine, too. And, agreed with Daisy17 above...Pierre Herme...macarons...just typing that was enough to make me decide I'm going to get up from my desk and go get some right now!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

We're by the Sorbonne right now. What would be the easiest Fauchon to get to?

Unless I'm confused, there's only the choice of the Madeleine shop (two right next to each other - one being the bakery, I think) But, it's worth a trek up there as you can pass by Laduree, the maille store, and lavinia if you're so inclined! Enjoy!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis