• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ground Pimiento

ambra

I accidentally bought Pimiento and have no idea what it is. I googled it of course and got that it's a sweet red pepper.

One site, wisegeek, said if it's ground and dried it's just Paprika. Is that true?

And what can I do it with it??

Bunches of recipes came up for pimiento cheese which is not something I am looking for.

The pimiento in my pantry is smoked Spanish paprika and you could google recipes using it if that is what you think you have. It has a very smoky aroma so should be easy to determine.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

If it's Spanish paprika, which seems likely, use it as for any other sort of paprika but watch your quantities - it's strong stuff. If a recipe requires a tablespoonful, a teaspoonful is likely to be more than enough (depending, I suppose, on how much smoke you can take).

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Oh, it doesn't say. It says it was bottled in Italy. I just opened it, and it smells like spice mix. I guess it's probably the stuff they use to make Panforte, Pan Pepate and the like. (I live in Siena.) Crap. I was kinda looking forward to having Smoked Paprika.

The bottle was covered in brown paper packaging and I was reaching for Cardamom and somehow arrived home with Pimento. And I hadn't wanted to open it thinking I would just return it but what the heck, it was only 2,50 Euros!

Thank you all, besides spice cakes, pan forte and the like anyone have a good recipe?

Edited by ambra (log)

Try this: make a pice of toast from (pardon) crappy white bread (if you have any) butter lightly (to help carry flavors) and sprinkle on a touch of your spice mix .Eat. Evaluate the flavor(s) in the mix. Is it spicy hot? Salty? Sweet spices, like clove and cinnamon? That way, you can get a better idea how to use it, and (if it's totally revolting) you've only spent the cost of a slice of bread and a little butter. :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"