• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High-end Cookware - What you get for the money

Porthos

MC2 isn't quite old school. Its older school.

Real old school  is the Master Chef series that have Canonsburg, PA on the bottom stamp.

Pretty pots nonetheless. They'll be fun to cook with.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Real old school  is the Master Chef series that have Canonsburg, PA on the bottom stamp.

You mean, like so?

1664476067_Allclad.jpeg.b62039890f5aad81b0ac1caf91096d35.jpeg

1695361597_AllcladIMG_2905.jpeg.6d2c96ab8cb8caf3625803858607b126.jpeg

Nonetheless, I'm sure they'll be fun to cook with and in.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

36 minutes ago, gfweb said:

At less than $100 per pot/pan, I could not pass it up.

As long as its not the new mass produced crap made in China, I am happy. 

Very thick aluminum - significant improvement over the 3 ply.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Curious if anyone is aware of the technical differences between the MC and MC2's?  Could not find any data to that regard...

I have both. MC is thicker aluminum I think and somehow is very stain resistant on the outside.  I have had one for about 25 years that has never been scrubbed on the outside.  I've had problems with the MC2 staining.  Not sure why.

52 minutes ago, weinoo said:

By the way, @gfweb, every time I go looking on eBay - the prices go up! Stay away from there for a while, willya? 🤣

I may have had a small role in that.  I suspect that eG threads play a role too.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I have both. MC is thicker aluminum I think and somehow is very stain resistant on the outside.  I have had one for about 25 years that has never been scrubbed on the outside.  I've had problems with the MC2 staining.  Not sure why.

I may have had a small role in that.  I suspect that eG threads play a role too.

Interesting.  I read somewhere that they are the same gauge...

I have found that both the 3ply and copper core AC range (of which I have both) are very 'stainy' on the outside.  I read that the exterior aluminum pots do stain/scratch on the outside, quite frankly, I do not care about the aesthetics nearly as much as functionality.

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

Aren't the handles slightly different on the MC2 vs. the MC?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

From the pictures (and what little info I have seen on the matter) the thickness looks to be the same (though mm's are tough to determine with eye alone!) - the handles do look different, the MC appear to be rough 'cast' steel and the MC2 appear to be polished SS.  Regardless, both appear to be superior to the new MC lines and at less than $100 CDN (like $30.75 US! 😛 ) per pot; a relative steal!

• Like 1

I don't wish to be contrarian ..

I have two MC2's :

a small and medium saucier.

Its possible the MC version was superior 

in possible ways 

however , these came out , and were very new

its possible Mc didn't make a saucier

but this line , being new

featured the saucier at a massive discount

to generate interest in the new line.

i got the small saucier for $ 19.95 , and there was an additional

20 % off.   I think it was otherwise over $100 ++.

later , the medium was on sale , 29.95  , and yes 20 % more off

not BB&B

as I had a slew of 3 mm copper from FR

the sale got me interested.

Im pleased they had the sale , or Id never have had a

saucier.  mine are pretty old, and doing fine.

if Im not using my Fond-Less set,

Im using these two

does anyone know if MC series had a saucier ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@TicTac 

you paid in CAD's ?

always nice !

who is your banker or Exchange Artiste ?

100 CAD  in my book is $ 77.98   ( USD )

do they have a web page ?

DarkerNet is OK. 

Sarcasm, rotuts - hence the tongue sticking out!  ;)

Yes, paid in CDN$ as they no longer were accepting Florins!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

MC are aluminum and a bit fatter...a slight advantage

MC2 are aluminum with steel liner inside - same beast, I believe - handles thus far are the only discernible difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jedovaty said:

What do you all think of wolf cookware?  Someone I know is updating their kitchen, doesn't care for stainless cookware, and wants to gift me their entire set.  It kind of looks like rebranded all-clad?  Seems like the line is NLA.

https://wolfgourmet.com/store/cookware

Doesnt look like AllClad.

But a bargain at twice the price

• Like 1

I don't think Wolf though much of their cookware either, as they appear to have spun it off into that (maybe) wholly owned subsidiary as you linked, @jedovaty

As mentioned, an entire set for free - why not try it out?  If it sucks, you can always donate it to some sort of charity.

Many brands copied All-Clad. Shit, even All-Clad copied and tried to make cheaper All-Clad with their Emeral line, and other made not in the USA stuff.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

49 minutes ago, weinoo said:

In one of those fine articles the author says (paraphrase) the AC's patents on the great MC line ran out and their new owners needed a big selling line so new (inferior) pans had to be designed to allow for mass marketing.

Edited by gfweb (log)

10 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Was there another luxury cookware brand?

Possibly, but imported, such as Mauviel, Le Creuset, et al.  That MC line was a favorite in every American pro kitchen back when it was the only thing All-Clad made; marketing, certainly, but also they could take a beating and come back ticking.

10 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Is Wolf better than Blue Star?  Not in any way that I can see, but Wolf is in every designer kitchen and upscale house at a $5000 greater price.

While the differences are certainly minor, I think people also choose (if they're buying one of these two brands, as I was), based on a couple of things. One - can I get a matching hood that looks good and fits into my design. Two - do I want open or sealed burners? Etc. But hardly a $5000 greater price. And I don't know if you're looking at Blue Star lately, but their marketing team has kept busy with design...

https://www.bluestarcooking.com/2021-color-of-the-year-light-aqua-green/ (2021 - did you know the color of the year is aqua green??!!)

https://www.bluestarcooking.com/cooking/ranges/

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

out of curiosity only

is there a significant difference between MC and MC2 ?

if so , what did they change ?

I have done a lot of research on this topic - they are both made in the US, of what appears to be the exact same gauge of aluminum exterior/steel liner interior.

The only discernible difference are the handles - the MC appear to be rough cast steel - the MC2 handles are polished.  Both I am guessing conduct heat (the only drawback I have found thus far in my new set.  While the pots/pans themselves conduct heat beautifully, even on my Wolf range's lowest setting - which would often simply produce a hot spot of heat on D3 AC's or my defunct previous set of inferior pots).