• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High-end Cookware - What you get for the money

Porthos

Recently I may or may not have injured my shoulder from wrestling a stockpot.  In my kitchen possibly the most used pot is a 9 liter Italian stainless steel stockpot I bought, probably at Pottery Barn, in the 1980's.  I don't often make stock but I frequently boil pasta and blanch vegetables.  I don't even wash it.  (I also have 16 liter Sitram.)

Anyhow, I thought to invest in an easier to lift stockpot.  One that I could use on the back of the stove.  I found tall stockpots less than 9 liter are like hens' teeth.  Supposedly Demeyere makes one, but not one that I could find to buy.  But I've been fond of my Fissler pressure cookers.  And unlike some cookware Fissler pots are a joy to clean.  I now have a 6 liter, 20 cm Fissler stockpot.  It is beautiful.  And it is far heavier than my 9 liter no-name Italian pot.

But on the plus side the Fissler lid perfectly fits my Falk Pot au Feu.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 4/28/2018 at 7:49 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I found tall stockpots less than 9 liter are like hens' teeth.  Supposedly Demeyere makes one, but not one that I could find to buy.

You might try the Demeyere "asparagus pot" from their Resto line.  Tall, light and cheap.  My only issue is that the disk diameter is too small for most gas hobs, so you can get some Ring-of-Fire effects with things like milk.

There's also this:  https://housecopper.com/product/3-quart-copper-pot/

Not cheap, but also pretty light.

7 hours ago, boilsover said:

You might try the Demeyere "asparagus pot" from their Resto line.  Tall, light and cheap.  My only issue is that the disk diameter is too small for most gas hobs, so you can get some Ring-of-Fire effects with things like milk.

There's also this:  https://housecopper.com/product/3-quart-copper-pot/

Not cheap, but also pretty light.

Three quart is too small.  And I needed something that would go in the dishwasher.  Plus the last thing I'd want in a stockpot is conductive sides.  The Demeyere looks more like what I wanted, thanks, but it is still too small (Fissler also sells an asparagus pot).  I wished to be able to simmer stock on the back burner of my stove, which is 8 inch diameter.  My new Fissler pot works well for that purpose, not that it was cheap.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 3:49 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Three quart is too small.  And I needed something that would go in the dishwasher.  Plus the last thing I'd want in a stockpot is conductive sides.  The Demeyere looks more like what I wanted, thanks, but it is still too small (Fissler also sells an asparagus pot).  I wished to be able to simmer stock on the back burner of my stove, which is 8 inch diameter.  My new Fissler pot works well for that purpose, not that it was cheap.

Sorry, I was responding to your statement: "I found tall stockpots less than 9 liter are like hens' teeth.  Supposedly Demeyere makes one, but not one that I could find to buy."  So I pointed out 2, including the Demeyere. 

If a 6Q thin SS is too heavy, I see no alternative but to go smaller.  The Demeyere is 4.8Q, BTW.

FWIW, I was comped one of the 3Q Housecopper stockers to review, and it's actually quite useful for back-of-the-stove/continuous kitchen use.  I've been after the company to offer a pasta/blanching insert for it.

If you like Fissler, you should check out the prices at the Spanish eBay--MUCH cheaper. 

Edited by boilsover (log)

I have a few high end pots and pans that I adore, but for a designated stock pot that's big and tall, I can't see the advantage of high end over relatively thin stainless steel, which would be lighter and cheaper. I make chicken stock and freeze it in quart batches at least every other month. When it's full almost to the brim it's pretty heavy. No idea what the size is, but it holds several pounds of carcass, bones, backs, etc and I can often get five or six quarts of rich stock from one long simmer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, boilsover said:

Sorry, I was responding to your statement: "I found tall stockpots less than 9 liter are like hens' teeth.  Supposedly Demeyere makes one, but not one that I could find to buy."  So I pointed out 2, including the Demeyere. 

If a 6Q thin SS is too heavy, I see no alternative but to go smaller.  The Demeyere is 4.8Q, BTW.

FWIW, I was comped one of the 3Q Housecopper stockers to review, and it's actually quite useful for back-of-the-stove/continuous kitchen use.  I've been after the company to offer a pasta/blanching insert for it.

If you like Fissler, you should check out the prices at the Spanish eBay--MUCH cheaper. 

Do you know a site that sells the Demeyere 4.8 quart?  I would like to look at the pot even if my cookware budget is a bit shot for the next month or so.

I should have mentioned up front that the burner in question was 8 inches.  I've purchased cookware direct from Europe but I don't do eBay.  I did find the Fissler much cheaper than for what the amazon sellers wanted.

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I have a few high end pots and pans that I adore, but for a designated stock pot that's big and tall, I can't see the advantage of high end over relatively thin stainless steel, which would be lighter and cheaper. I make chicken stock and freeze it in quart batches at least every other month. When it's full almost to the brim it's pretty heavy. No idea what the size is, but it holds several pounds of carcass, bones, backs, etc and I can often get five or six quarts of rich stock from one long simmer.

Unfortunately I did not see a thin stainless steel pot in the size range that I wanted.  And while thin stainless is perfectly OK by me for pasta and for blanching vegetables, I'm not sure I agree about for stock.  The coil pattern of the burner is firmly etched in the bottom of my much loved no-name Italian 9 quart.  I may be over cautious but I'd look for more even bottom heating for my stock.  Your stockpot really doesn't have an aluminum bottom or some kind of conductive disc?

By the way I noticed that with the Fissler, unlike with my no-name pot, the handles actually stay cool.

48 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you know a site that sells the Demeyere 4.8 quart? 

Try https://www.zwillingonline.com/8016.html 

$89 isn't a great price.  I think I paid closer to $50.

The basket alone is worth $50 if it fits something else you have.  The fine mesh makes short work of mirepoix, bouquet garni, and stock bones without ladling.  It's also a very good deep fryer that economizes on oil.

Fissler's loop handles are good.  The stick handles I find weirdly clammy/slippery and unergonomic, but they hardly heat up at all.

Is your 8" hob gas?  This would be a problem...

1 hour ago, boilsover said:

Try https://www.zwillingonline.com/8016.html 

$89 isn't a great price.  I think I paid closer to $50.

The basket alone is worth $50 if it fits something else you have.  The fine mesh makes short work of mirepoix, bouquet garni, and stock bones without ladling.  It's also a very good deep fryer that economizes on oil.

Fissler's loop handles are good.  The stick handles I find weirdly clammy/slippery and unergonomic, but they hardly heat up at all.

Is your 8" hob gas?  This would be a problem...

Thanks but that is not at all the same small Demeyere stockpot I was looking for.  The only gas in my kitchen comes from Rancho Gordo.

• Haha 2

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Recently I may or may not have injured my shoulder from wrestling a stockpot.  In my kitchen possibly the most used pot is a 9 liter Italian stainless steel stockpot I bought, probably at Pottery Barn, in the 1980's.  I don't often make stock but I frequently boil pasta and blanch vegetables.  I don't even wash it.  (I also have 16 liter Sitram.)

Have you seen this model?  It's lightweight but only 8 qt.

5 hours ago, lindag said:

Have you seen this model?  It's lightweight but only 8 qt.

Thanks.  No, I had not seen the Le Creuset enameled steel.  I notice they offer a 6 quart too.  However I'm not supposed to use enameled steel on my stovetop and the Le Creuset literature says:  "Never place a stockpot in the dishwasher."

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 11:28 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks but that is not at all the same small Demeyere stockpot I was looking for. 

What is the capacity of the Demeyere you're looking for?  Is it clad or disk-base?

4 hours ago, boilsover said:

What is the capacity of the Demeyere you're looking for?  Is it clad or disk-base?

I believe it was disc based like this, only in the Atlantis line.

3 hours ago, boilsover said:

I see only 8.5 quart on that link?

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I see only 8.5 quart on that link?

Looks like it's d/c.  You probably have to find it used or as new old... stock.  Call the NJ Zwilling warehouse and see if they can find you one.

5 hours ago, boilsover said:

Looks like it's d/c.  You probably have to find it used or as new old... stock.  Call the NJ Zwilling warehouse and see if they can find you one.

The Demeyere is redundant, anyhow, now that I have the Fissler.  Thank you for looking though.

On 5/6/2018 at 5:45 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Demeyere is redundant, anyhow, now that I have the Fissler.  Thank you for looking though.

YW.  This has been quite a chase if you are happy with the Fissler.  It's not the best geometry for a stockpot, IMO, but hey...

59 minutes ago, boilsover said:

YW.  This has been quite a chase if you are happy with the Fissler.  It's not the best geometry for a stockpot, IMO, but hey...

By geometry I assume you mean diameter to height?  What ratio would you suggest?  I failed geometry in high school.

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

By geometry I assume you mean diameter to height?  What ratio would you suggest?  I failed geometry in high school.

Yes, a 1:1 height:diameter shape is best.  Visually, they appear more tall than wide.

10 hours ago, boilsover said:

Yes, a 1:1 height:diameter shape is best.  Visually, they appear more tall than wide.

The Fissler is 20 cm in diameter and 20 cm high.  Why would that not be the best geometry?

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The Fissler is 20 cm in diameter and 20 cm high.  Why would that not be the best geometry?

Please link me to your Fissler. I did not know they make a true stockpot.

The classic 1:1 has to do with minimizing the exposed surface area, gentling the convection currents, and making room on the cooktop..  

Edited by boilsover (log)

7 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Please link me to your Fissler. I did not know they make a true stockpot.

The classic 1:1 has to do with minimizing the exposed surface area, gentling the convection currents, and making room on the cooktop..  

https://fisslerusa.com/6qt-original-profi-multi-purpose-pasta-pot-set

45 minutes ago, boilsover said:

Thanks.  So, 6.3L is too big/heavy, and 4.8L is too small?

The asparagus pot is too small for the back burner on my stove.  The Fissler is not at all too big but it is heavy.  I don't think I ever said too heavy.