• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 4/12/2021 at 8:20 AM, rotuts said:

a few more thoughts :

i also have a set of 4 pans , w conventional lids for the Saute // two Sauce //

these are 2.5 mm , made in France , SS.  they were purchased a long time ago ( 25 years ? )

by friends of mine in the SF BayArea.  they knew I liked to cook , and I was visiting my father for

longer and longer periods of time, they gifted them to me ( under mild protest from me )

because they were way to heavy for them to use , and never used them.

I used them all the time w my father , and they eventually came to life w me in BOS.

note : these have a ' lip '   French restaurant and maybe high end Family pans do not.

the lip is a very nice feature .  the lipless pans are a PITA to clean , as they always 

' dribble ' down the sides.  lips pans do not.  Day to Day Physics @ home.

1546667136_2.5Saute.jpg.bc2e169a91616d069737049ce7543cd1.jpg

10 "  ( true inches , lip to lip )  saute.  wt :  2300 grams w/o lid

N.B.:  the white spot @ 4 O'Clock.  annoyed me greatly .  but it's a reflection , not a defect

1858088987_2_5fry.thumb.jpg.46a5af34119bc9cb94d85dcd957b92ea.jpg

10 " Fry.  note same lip and reflection .   1700 grams.  2.5 mm

I've had the 12" Mauviel version of this since the 1990s (no lip, 2600 grams). It's one of my 2 or 3 favorite pans. Just a great compromise of heat retention and responsiveness. Very even heating, even on a crappy stove. A big enough bottom to work as a traditional saute pan, but a good shape for tossing food as well (if you don't mind the workout. 

And it will probably last forever. I knocked it off the counter once and it went flying. My heart sank. But there wasn't even a mark on the pan. The floor was the loser in this transaction. 

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 4/12/2021 at 8:20 AM, rotuts said:

a few more thoughts :

i also have a set of 4 pans , w conventional lids for the Saute // two Sauce //

these are 2.5 mm , made in France , SS.  they were purchased a long time ago ( 25 years ? )

by friends of mine in the SF BayArea.  they knew I liked to cook , and I was visiting my father for

longer and longer periods of time, they gifted them to me ( under mild protest from me )

because they were way to heavy for them to use , and never used them.

I used them all the time w my father , and they eventually came to life w me in BOS.

note : these have a ' lip '   French restaurant and maybe high end Family pans do not.

the lip is a very nice feature .  the lipless pans are a PITA to clean , as they always 

' dribble ' down the sides.  lips pans do not.  Day to Day Physics @ home.

1546667136_2.5Saute.jpg.bc2e169a91616d069737049ce7543cd1.jpg

10 "  ( true inches , lip to lip )  saute.  wt :  2300 grams w/o lid

N.B.:  the white spot @ 4 O'Clock.  annoyed me greatly .  but it's a reflection , not a defect

1858088987_2_5fry.thumb.jpg.46a5af34119bc9cb94d85dcd957b92ea.jpg

10 " Fry.  note same lip and reflection .   1700 grams.  2.5 mm

I've had the Mauviel version of this since the 1990s (no lip, 2600 grams). It's one of my 2 or 3 favorite pans. Just a great compromise of heat retention and responsiveness. Very even heating, even on a crappy stove. A big enough bottom to work as a traditional saute pan, but a good shape for tossing food as well (if you don't mind the workout. 

And it will probably last forever. I knocked it off the counter once and it went flying. My heart sank. But there wasn't even a mark on the pan. The floor was the loser in this transaction.