• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm running out of Falk pieces to collect but that rondeau sure looks pretty.  If I'm not mistaken it is the same vessel as their saute pan with different handles.  However I note the rondeau/saute pan is rather shallow.  Do you really find it deep enough for braising?  What Falk (or other) pot or pan would you recommend for risotto?  For most single person purposes my battery of Le Creuset are overkill.

Last couple braises I've done in my newish 18cm disc bottom Demeyere.  Also used successfully for my freshly flocked Ankarsrum oats this morning afternoon.

I do find it deep enough (almost 3") for braising - a whole chicken for scarpariello, for instance. The chicken cut into pieces, that is. When I want to braise a whole 3 or 4 lb. chicken, it's time for the 4 qt. Dutch oven.

And indeed - it appears to be their sauté with different handles.

For risotto, I really like the saucier shape - it's so nice to have that curved (?) bottom with nowhere for the rice to get stuck. Don't tell anyone, but I'll also use that Calphalon hard-anodized aluminum for risotto - it's nonstick properties make the risotto practically foolproof, but it's a much lighter pan, so more care has to be taken when stirring.

P.S. @JoNorvelleWalker - that Rondeau might even fit in your APO?

weinoo

weinoo

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm running out of Falk pieces to collect but that rondeau sure looks pretty.  If I'm not mistaken it is the same vessel as their saute pan with different handles.  However I note the rondeau/saute pan is rather shallow.  Do you really find it deep enough for braising?  What Falk (or other) pot or pan would you recommend for risotto?  For most single person purposes my battery of Le Creuset are overkill.

Last couple braises I've done in my newish 18cm disc bottom Demeyere.  Also used successfully for my freshly flocked Ankarsrum oats this morning afternoon.

I do find it deep enough (almost 3") for braising - a whole chicken for scarpariello, for instance. The chicken cut into pieces, that is. When I want to braise a whole 3 or 4 lb. chicken, it's time for the 4 qt. Dutch oven.

And indeed - it appears to be their sauté with different handles.

For risotto, I really like the saucier shape - it's so nice to have that curved (?) bottom with nowhere for the rice to get stuck. Don't tell anyone, but I'll also use that Calphalon hard-anodized aluminum for risotto - it's nonstick properties make the risotto practically foolproof, but it's a much lighter pan, so more care has to be taken when stirring.