• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

Because plural of knife isn't knifes.

On 3/8/2021 at 7:10 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have been most pleased by Falk

Love Falk stuff (as well as Mauviel via DeHellerin), using these 2 as much as any saucepans in the batterie...

IMG_3715.jpeg.f4ffecb6370599773131a3e1a39c2bde.jpeg

Like daily. Like today for oatmeal. The smaller of these is 1.4 qts., and is pretty much always on sale - as it's the gateway drug. I have their 3 quart rondeau, and it's another perfect pan say, for chicken scarpariello. Or any of those braises where you don't need a 4-qt. or larger Dutch oven. Gorgeous, too, if I do say so myself.

image.png.8a576a851424f08a92efc6c17327ebbb.png

All-Clad has been discussed here for a long time. Both @gfweb and I agree (I think) that if you own or can acquire any/some of the original, first generation MC stuff, it's unbeatable. That's a 2 quart behind Falk cousins. 

Staub - I wouldn't be without my 4 quart (#24) cocotte. This was on sale for $99, which also happens regularly as it's their gateway drug, in my opinion.

image.png.47d7dc2c9ed7a676059d138bb9175bba.png

I have and use various carbon steel, cast iron, stainless steel, etc. etc. frying pans and sauté pans for, well, sauté and stovetop shit. Undersearing scallops is my specialty. I think these pans (and that includes their nonstick brethren) are much more personal, in that what type of range/stove/oven they're gonna be used on may be more important than say, for a cocotte.  But even more importantly, I think how they feel in the hand is of utmost importance. If the handle isn't comfortable to hold, it's not going to be a fun item to cook with. They're like knives in that regard, and I certainly get more physical with them than with a big Dutch oven.

All that being said, I am mildly surprised at a pan or two I was able to buy because a friend worked at the parent company, which annually ran giant sales of this stuff for friends and family - Calphalon. One of their hard-anodized aluminum in a 3 qt. saucepan and a stainless 8 qt. stockpot with strainer lid are 2 acquired this way. They're nice cookware at the price.

weinoo

weinoo

21 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have been most pleased by Falk

Love Falk stuff (as well as Mauviel via DeHellerin), using these 2 as much as any saucepans in the batterie...

IMG_3715.jpeg.f4ffecb6370599773131a3e1a39c2bde.jpeg

Like daily. Like today for oatmeal. The smaller of these is 1.4 qts., and is pretty much always on sale - as it's the gateway drug. I have their 3 quart rondeau, and it's another perfect pan say, for chicken scarpariello. Or any of those braises where you don't need a 4-qt. or larger Dutch oven. Gorgeous, too, if I do say so myself.

image.png.8a576a851424f08a92efc6c17327ebbb.png

All-Clad has been discussed here for a long time. Both @gfweb and I agree (I think) that if you own or can acquire any/some of the original, first generation MC stuff, it's unbeatable. That's a 2 quart behind Falk cousins. 

Staub - I wouldn't be without my 4 quart (#24) cocotte. This was on sale for $99, which also happens regularly as it's their gateway drug, in my opinion.

image.png.47d7dc2c9ed7a676059d138bb9175bba.png

I have and use various carbon steel, cast iron, stainless steel, etc. etc. frying pans and sauté pans for, well, sauté and stovetop shit. Undersearing scallops is my specialty. I think these pans (and that includes their nonstick brethren) are much more personal, in that what type of range/stove/oven they're gonna be used on may be more important than say, for a cocotte.  But even more importantly, I think how they feel in the hand is of utmost importance. If the handle isn't comfortable to hold, it's not going to be a fun item to cook with. They're like knifes in that regard, and I certainly get more physical with them than with a big Dutch oven.

All that being said, I am mildly surprised at a pan or two I was able to buy because a friend worked at the parent company, which annually ran giant sales of this stuff for friends and family - Calphalon. One of their hard-anodized aluminum in a 3 qt. saucepan and a stainless 8 qt. stockpot with strainer lid are 2 acquired this way. They're nice cookware at the price.