• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

I've never compared the actual performance of the two lines, but I really don't want to reward companies like all-clad for the 5-ply and 7-ply marketing nonsense. 

It's not too hard to imagine that the 5-ply pans could perform reasonably well. If the steel layers are thin enough, these pans would act a bit more like disk-bottom pans with thicker aluminum. Which is to say they'd be better at some things, worse at others.

What I like about the AC triply is that they're thin and fast, so I'm not really looking for changes here. 

paulraphael

paulraphael

I've never compared the actual performance of the two lines, but I really don't want to reward companies like all-clad for the 5-ply and 7-ply marketing nonsense. 

It's not too hard to imagine that the 5-ply pans could perform reasonably well. If the steel layers are thin enough, they'd act a bit more like disc-bottom pans with thicker aluminum. Which is to say they'd be better at some things, worse at others.

What I like about the AC triply is that they're thin and fast, so I'm not really looking for changes here.