• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you go through most?

haresfur

Perhaps somewhat related to the start-up bar thread and the budget liquor thread, but a different slant. Yes there's the really good stuff that you save for special occasions, there's the stuff you use sparingly but when you need it you need it, but what bottles do you find yourself restocking most frequently?

Personally, I'd say rum but I solve that by just buying more varieties to spread the load. So I guess, right now it would be Campari. Maybe that will change in the winter.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Without question, Rittenhouse 100 Rye. After than, probably Punt e Mes.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Seconding the Rittenhouse, along with Tanqueray and any and all cognac--if it's VSOP-grade, into the shaker it goes toute suite; if better, let's just say that Brooklyn has some pretty damn thirsty angels.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

It would undoubtedly be gin, but the fact that Smart & Final has handles of Beefeater for a mere $22 means that particular staple lasts longer than spirits I have to buy by the fifth. Rye is the obvious second, but I split duties between Old Overholt and Rittenhouse* so even that category is buffered slightly against the mighty thirst.

*sadly unavailable in my area for the foreseeable future; dear god what am I going to do...

Rye and gin here, too: Rittenhouse BIB or Wild Turkey 101 for rye, and a variety for gin (I've got Beefeater, Plymouth, Bluecoat, Tanqueray, and Junipero in there now, plus a couple of genevers). In summer, that'll likely be gin and rum.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

In order:

Rittenhouse BIB

Tanqueray

Laird's bonded applejack

Carpano Antica Formula

Cognac

There are other spirits I would go through more quickly, but don't tend to either because I haven't bought enough of it and am not sure there will always be a reliable supply (e.g., Smith & Cross Jamaica Rum) or because it's priced out of the "everyday use" category (e.g., Bols Genever, Ransom Old Tom, Genevieve).

--

I buy Campari the most often, by a significant margin.

I go through Aperol and Punt e Mes about as quickly, but because I have to order them by mail, I don't buy them as often. The same will probably prove true for genever, but it's newer to me.

In order:

Gin (mostly Beefeater, No. 209 or Junipero when I'm feeling flush, but when I spot a bottle of Plymouth with the Friar label in an out of the way liquor store at the old $15.99 price I jump on it)

Vermouth (Noilly)

Rittenhouse BIB

And, in reverse order, the stuff that will be hard (read: expensive) to replenish:

Hermes Violet (down to about 1/4 bottle)

Verte de Fougerolles absinthe (down to about 1/3 bottle)

Chartreuse Elixir de Vegetal (Love it, but at the rate I'm going I could probably pass it down to my grandkids)

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

This is an interesting question. For me, I'm often surprised at what I run out of, because it's never what I think I'm drinking the most of. I always think I drink more whiskey cocktails than anything else, but I always seem to be running out of gin. I guess part of the answer is that I usually have four or five different kinds of whiskey on hand (eg 3 ryes and 2 bourbons), and perhaps only two different brands of gin.

Naturally, I also go through a lot of vermouth and Cointreau/Curacao, but who doesn't?

One thing I'm dreading running out of is Benedictine. When Pennsylvania decided to delist the full strength liqueur and only stock the diluted B&B, I tried to get what I could. The eastern part of the state has lots, but I bought the last three bottles in the entire western part of PA. I'm down to 2. When it's gone, it's gone. I'm not looking forward to having to adapt all kinds of recipes to substitute B&B.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

• 1 month later...

Gin for sure. Typically, it's been Plymouth. But the price on that has shot up a lot recently here in Dallas. It's now as much as Tanq. 10 and Bombay Sapphire. After that, it's some sort of whiskey. Be it bourbon or rye.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

For me Plymouth Gin, Sazerac 6 yr Rye, Buufalo Trace, Cointreau, Dolin Blanc and Rouge Vermouths.

I am thinking that I'll be using less of the Plymouth as I recently started using Leupold and Junipero Gins and love them.