• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jay Raynor V Jan Moir

Oh come on.

Out of that reserve army of Golgafrinchan food journalists he is the least nausea inducing. When the paid ranks of pontificators & poseurs amassed at the top of the Gherkin for that BBC - Heston\Keller thing a couple of years back, no one prayed more than I, for a '3rd plane'. But Raynor would have been a welcome survivor.... ....But not Wogan....not to mention that Tom Parker-Bowles faeces.

Edited by adey73 (log)

I don't know if Jan Moir is the worst journalist on the planet but she's certainly on the short list.

I have no clue who Jay Raynor is but I think he was far too easy on her.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I read Jan's article first, and started writing about it yesterday, where my thoughts summed up were that Dacre needed to fill some column inches quickly, and Jan, perhaps desperate for the money just as quickly, thus spewed out what I then described as 1,200 words or so of non sequitur twaddle.

Then just now I read Jay's article, and realised that he and I were pretty much in total agreement, although his is written in far better prose than mine ever was.

Cheers, Howard

Edited by howardlong (log)

What's more a little puzzling is that she doesn't really acknowledge the choice that is available to people in terms of eating out. The choice & type of meals are so much greater than they used to be - not only in styles but types of cuisine. But I guess the Daily Mail doesn't really want to talk about 'immigrant cuisine' as a good thing...

Just like watching a film, we have so many options available to us. No-one chooses to Mulholland Drive every single night. They'd go nuts.

She needs to get out more.

What's more a little puzzling is that she doesn't really acknowledge the choice that is available to people in terms of eating out. The choice & type of meals are so much greater than they used to be - not only in styles but types of cuisine. But I guess the Daily Mail doesn't really want to talk about 'immigrant cuisine' as a good thing...

Just like watching a film, we have so many options available to us. No-one chooses to Mulholland Drive every single night. They'd go nuts.

She needs to get out more & see what life is like in the real world

She needs to get out more.

I'd say she needs to stay in her house, forever.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Jay Rayner was right in his piece when he said: "It is as tiresome a piece of writing as you could hope to find, for two reasons.". I didn't need two reasons to stop reading Jan's piece. You're right Poppy Seed, the article is typical Daily Mail, if you've never read this blog – http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.com/ – you should give it a read, the Mail features heavily.