• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harissa source

Doodad

You probably need it today but if you don't, Mustapha's Moroccan Gourmet in Seattle are the tops. I found jars of his products in a Crate n' Barrel in Eastern Massachusetts.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Have you tried Gwinnett International Farmer's Market over on Shackleford (between Pleasant Hill and Steve Reynolds near 85)? They also have stores in Cobb and in Lilburn. I am pretty certain I saw some there just a couple of days ago. I also remember seeing some at the Hallel Meat Market at Singleton and JCB (the same shopping center as Aldi--on the left coming fr/ 85).

I would imagine SuperH and Buford Hwy Market have it as well but can not vouch as I have not looked in either of those places.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I bought some a while back at Sur La Table in Perimeter Mall. Definitely call first, though; they change their stock of condiments from time to time.

I'm assuming you want to buy it in the form of a paste, either in a tube or jar. Believe it or not, several types can be ordered through Amazon, including Le Cabanon and the Mustapha. Le Cabanon in the tube seems to be the most common; I've always loved that box. Supposedly the photographer Cartier-Bresson carried a tube of Le Cabanon wherever he went, in case his food was too bland, I guess. Probably great on frites!

There are also places you can order various dry spice mixtures for making the paste yourself. My jaw dropped when I went to a French market in Provence and saw the spice-guy selling dozens of giant bags of spices for custom blends, as well as some of his own blends. Looked beautiful and smelled awesome.

I could not find harissa in the few places I looked this past weekend. I did find Chile Chutney in an Indian grocery near the house. Does anyone know if the flavor profile is similar? Is is dang good on its own, but seems to be the same basic idea as harissa.

For those of you who like sambal etc in your food, try this chutney. Wow.

I actually did look up some recipes online. I have several kinds of chiles (but not piri piri) and could easily put something together. That is why the chile chutney looked so intriguiging. The ingredients are very similar.

I have never tasted harissa so I don't know what to expect. Some recipes were very basic others had tomatoes and some citrus added. Not sure what to think. And Amazon is out of harissa go figure.

After experimentation with two of three different brands of purchased Harissas and making my own Harissa, I settled on ordering it from www.zamourispices.com. Their version is superior, in my opinion, and is worth the money compared to making it myself.

If you make it yourself, I can provide some advice though. Choose a recipe that includes both sun-dried tomatoes and cumin. Not all Harissa recipes do. And it's not important to get piri piri chiles specifically, piri piri chiles are just the type commonly available in Aftrica. Other types will do as well.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I found it at Crate and Barrel of all places. And on sale so I bought two.

Now what to do with it. I plan on making a grilled med vege cous cous and putting some harissa in it.

I have some meatballs in the freezer so one night we are doing Moroccan meatball subs with halumi cheese and harissa marinara sauce.