• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tampa treasures?

speidec

Here is what my friend had so say:

"Here are some restaurants they may want to check out:

Bern’s (very pricey steak house, is a legend around here, looks like a French bordello inside, but the food is fabulous)

Mise en Place (very good French restaurant)

Flemings Steak House

Mitchell’s Fish Market (very good!)

Malio’s (another Tampa legend, steak is specialty)

Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine (people rave about it, www.roysrestaurant.com)

Bella’s Italian Café (One of my all time favorite restaurants. Their Insalata Mista salad is wonderful.)

Charley’s Aged Steaks and Market Fresh Fish (I’ve never eaten there, but it’s my niece’s favorite restaurant)

The Palm (www.thepalm.com is at Westshore Mall, and so is Mitchell’s)

That’s a good start. Most of them are somewhat pricey, but sometimes you’ve got to pay for good food. Hope that helps. If I can think of any more, I’ll let you know."

I don't know if these are "chef/market driven" but I hope this helps.

Here's another note from my friend in Tampa:

"We went to a restaurant in Safety Harbor called Cello’s and it was fantastic. It’s in a little concrete block house just off Main Street that’s been converted into a restaurant. The food was fabulous and the wait staff was very entertaining. They read the menu out loud in very theatrical tones, which was very amusing. Another table of diners broke out into song (God Bless America) and everyone in the restaurant chimed in, which was a lot of fun. It’s cash only and BYOB, so you have to bring your own libations. They must not have a liquor license. I’d highly recommend it to your eGullet friends if they make it anywhere near Safety Harbor."

Hope it's not too late.

My wife and I both think that the Pelagia Trattoria is the best place in town and is very inexpensive for the high quality of food he offers. Chef Fabrizio Schenardi is a fantastic guy too who is involved in the local area and is working with some other top chefs in the area to start a local slow food chapter. With seasonal and regular menu options there are always great options.

We also like Six Tables and Chef Richard Bottini, but it's more expensive and requires reservations since they literally have 6 tables and normally only do one seating per night.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I could not agree more on Pelagia. Fabrizio is an excellent chef and has done a wonderful job with a hotel restaurant.

Also, Bern's may not be as pricy as intimated. It depends on where the diner is from. If you are from NYC, Bern's would be a deal for what it offers.

I would also recommend the Columbia restaurant in Ybor City. This is the original location.

Bern's is overpriced, and very, very overrated. The majority of the other restaurants are chains and nothing special (mitchell's, the palm). Ceviche's is also pretty mediocre. Can't speak of Six Tables since never been there, but have heard good things about it. Also, Vizcaya - been there and it's worth a visit. Cafe Ponte in clearwater is supposed to be good though have not been there personally.

Actually, the best place I've been to in the two years of living in Tampa, has, so far, been a NY style pizzeria called Paci's on S. Dale Mabry. It's amazing - everything is made from scratch, the pizza is thin-crust and super crispy with just the right amount of cheese and the tomato sauce is fresh and tangy. And they have a nice selection of Brooklyn Brewery beers.

• 8 years later...

I haven't been in a very long time but some of the old places we used to hang out when I was a student at USF.   Cafe Pepe, Columbia-Ybor City, the Silver Ring, Las Novidades, The Mullet Inn, The Swiss House at Busch Gardens, and a few clubs out near the university.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2010 at 1:00 PM, Gruzia said:

Bern's is overpriced, and very, very overrated. The majority of the other restaurants are chains and nothing special (mitchell's, the palm). Ceviche's is also pretty mediocre. Can't speak of Six Tables since never been there, but have heard good things about it. Also, Vizcaya - been there and it's worth a visit. Cafe Ponte in clearwater is supposed to be good though have not been there personally.

Actually, the best place I've been to in the two years of living in Tampa, has, so far, been a NY style pizzeria called Paci's on S. Dale Mabry. It's amazing - everything is made from scratch, the pizza is thin-crust and super crispy with just the right amount of cheese and the tomato sauce is fresh and tangy. And they have a nice selection of Brooklyn Brewery beers.

I realize this a very old topic, but since i just read it, let me comment on the above (as if anyone cares).

Bern's has one of the great wine lists, if not in the United States, then in the world.  It is NOT overpriced by any stretch of the imagination, and if a diner knows anything at all about wine, said diner will certainly find wines that are insanely low priced for a restaurant.

And the steaks I've had cooked at Bern's are just fine.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

I realize this a very old topic, but since i just read it, let me comment on the above (as if anyone cares).

Bern's has one of the great wine lists, if not in the United States, then in the world.  It is NOT overpriced by any stretch of the imagination, and if a diner knows anything at all about wine, said diner will certainly find wines that are insanely low priced for a restaurant.

And the steaks I've had cooked at Bern's are just fine.

I gave a Bern's gift certificate to my dad and stepmother one Christmas.  He was amazed at the wine selection and loved the steaks.  I think he's pretty knowledgeable about both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1