• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes That Rock: 2010

dividend

This recipe for Hundred Corner Shrimp Balls caught my eye when I ended up with two enormous bags of shrimp from Costco that were the wrong size for our favourite shrimp fritter recipe from Monica Bhide. I was a bit reluctant to serve them as almost any other deep-fried shrimp concoction gets thumbs down from my husband so enamoured is he of Monica's shrimp. But finally we have a contender. No it won't replace our favourite but these were awesome and will make regular appearances on our menu. If you decide to try them be sure to make the accompanying Apricot Dipping Sauce.

Here's a link to Monica's recipe for those who are interested.

Edited to add link.

Anna -- Monica's recipe sounds and looks fantastic to me. A few questions... She doesn't specify an oil temperature -- do you know what temp you use? And how long does it typically take to fry each shrimp -- I've fried chicken before, but never shrimp...

. . . .

Anna -- Monica's recipe sounds and looks fantastic to me. A few questions... She doesn't specify an oil temperature -- do you know what temp you use? And how long does it typically take to fry each shrimp -- I've fried chicken before, but never shrimp...

We try for 16-20 per pound shrimp and we don't bother butterflying them. We aim for 350F and I can't tell you how long except to say until done - not trying to be smart - I just don't know! When the first couple look nice and crispy and golden - check! Don't overcook the shrimp is all I can say and you have some room if you don't butterfly them. We are talking 2 minutes or thereabouts and as always, don't crowd the pan and thus drop the temperature too much.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna! I made Monica's Shrimp Fritters tonight, and they are in the right place on egullet since they rocked my world! I used 31 to 40 count shrimp, which worked fine, and I appreciated the guidance for oil temperature. The only modification I made was to combine all purpose flour with potato starch for the breading, to give them added crispiness. I must have said "oh my god these are so good" about 10 times during the meal -- pretty much after each shrimp I ate. Thanks so much for posting it...

Anna! I made Monica's Shrimp Fritters tonight, and they are in the right place on egullet since they rocked my world! I used 31 to 40 count shrimp, which worked fine, and I appreciated the guidance for oil temperature. The only modification I made was to combine all purpose flour with potato starch for the breading, to give them added crispiness. I must have said "oh my god these are so good" about 10 times during the meal -- pretty much after each shrimp I ate. Thanks so much for posting it...

So very glad you liked these but I feel sorry for you all the same - seems once you have had these any other shrimp prep pales in comparison ........................ but the Hundred Corner Shrimp are still amazing!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna -- One other question. What do you typically serve the shrimp fritters with? I served them with indian spiced potatoes and cauliflower, but didn't love the combination...

You won't like my answer................ but to steal from someone else - I serve them with more shrimp! They are a special treat for my hubby and me. We fry them at the table and eat them as they come out of the fryer. We make a long leisurely performance of the whole thing and by evening's end, helped by whatever wine is on the go, we have found the answer to world peace and every other problem real or imagined. :smile:

My 2004 eG Blog

I've made this Sage-flavored gratin dauphinois with potato, sweet potato and pink turnips three times in the past 10 days and I'm still not tired of it, neither are my guests. I've not used the cheese as I was serving it with a fairly rich main course. Subsequently, I added thinly sliced onions and didn't strain the herbs and garlic from the milk mixture. The combination of Yukon Golds, sweet potatoes and slightly spicy turnips are a match made in heaven.

The last time I made it, a couple of evenings ago - I served it as my main course with a green salad dressed with sherry vinegar vinaigrette.

December 2010 is quickly racing to its close and I have another rockin' recipe to contribute. It's from Food 52 Spatchcocked Braised-Roasted Chicken http://www.food52.com/blog/1418_spatchcocked_and_braiseroasted_chicken. A really nice take on roasting/braising which infuses the chicken beautifully with the lemon/herbs medley. I'll be making this many times, an easy mid-week fantastic dinner.

December 2010 is quickly racing to its close and I have another rockin' recipe to contribute. It's from Food 52 Spatchcocked Braised-Roasted Chicken http://www.food52.com/blog/1418_spatchcocked_and_braiseroasted_chicken. A really nice take on roasting/braising which infuses the chicken beautifully with the lemon/herbs medley. I'll be making this many times, an easy mid-week fantastic dinner.

This was on my list to try this week but life got in the way! Still next Thursday I am hoping to give it a go. So glad it worked for you.

My 2004 eG Blog

The Food52 Spatchcocked Chicken reminded me of a spatchcocked chicken that Jacques Pepin did in More Fast food my way. I had filed away the recipe to try long ago. So, I decided I'd try it before the Food 52 recipe----especially since I thought Pepin's mustard coating mixture sounded delicious. I made it tonight and it was wonderful.....Also, the pan juices were great and yummy with mashed potatoes.

The recipe and video are

here

Oh, I forgot to mention that this chicken cooks really fast---in about a half hour.

Edited by saluki (log)

The Food52 Spatchcocked Chicken reminded me of a spatchcocked chicken that Jacques Pepin did in More Fast food my way. I had filed away the recipe to try long ago. So, I decided I'd try it before the Food 52 recipe----especially since I thought Pepin's mustard coating mixture sounded delicious. I made it tonight and it was wonderful.....Also, the pan juices were great and yummy with mashed potatoes.

The recipe and video are

here

Oh, I forgot to mention that this chicken cooks really fast---in about a half hour.

That Pepin recipe is one of my absolute favorites. I could drink the pan juices.....

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"