• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brisket „Stroganoff“ Sous Vide With Mixed Mushrooms

PedroG

Brisket „Stroganoff“ Sous Vide With Mixed Mushrooms

Ingredients for 2 servings

about 400g well marbled Brisket

3 tablespoons rice bran oil or other high smoke point oil (grapeseed oil)

3 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil

3 tablespoons Cognac (brandy)

2 small onions, finely diced

½ yellow or red bell peppers cut into strips

90 g mixed mushrooms

100 ml of gravy from last Brisket (or concentrated stock)

1 teaspoon mustard, Dijon type

1 teaspoon paprika mild (not spicy!)

1 medium pickled cucumber cut into thin strips

2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped

approx. 120g sour cream with herbs

Sous Vide - cooking

Marinate brisket with Mexican style (medium hot) marinade in the vacuum bag for at least 3 days at 1 ° C, cook sous vide 48 hours at 55.0 ° C.

Preparing the sauce

At a moderate heat sauté onions in olive oil, add peppers (preblanched in the microwave oven for 2-3 minutes) and mushroom mixture, stir-fry, remove from heat and add the gravy. Add pickled cucumber, pepper, mustard and cognac. Put on very low heat, add sour cream and keep warm, but do not boil as the cream will separate. Remove the brisket from the bag, cut into strips (about 8x10x35mm), sear very quickly in smoking-hot rice bran oil, add the meat and the parsley to the sauce.

Serving

Serve on warmed plates. Typically served with spätzle (south German) or chnöpfli (Swiss).

And don't forget a glass of good red wine!

Enjoy your meal!

Pedro

• Like 1

Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro

eG Ethics Signatory

• Similar Content

• By Anonymous Modernist 16589
      I'm looking to buy some new pots and pans and would like to tap into your knowledege and experiance with them. Which pans tend to yield the best and most consistant results. Same for pots. Any and all recommendations would be greatly appriciated, thank you in advance.
      Herman 8D
    • By shain
      Not very much like a regular cheesecake in texture - this one is more custardy and creamy.
      It's the easiest cheesecake I ever made.

Amount for a 6" wide cake pan.
      For an 8" pan, double the ingredients.

300g cream cheese 110g sugar 2 large eggs 150g full fat cream (I think it could also work with sour cream or mascarpone if you'd like a tart cheesecake) 2 tsp vanilla extract 1/4 tsp salt some grated nutmeg apx 1/3 tsp fine orange zest 30g flour  

Most recipes suggest that you line the cake with a parchment paper, so that it covers the sides as well and ends above the pan, this allowes for easy removal of the cake. I opted to use a spring-form pan, brushed with butter, but this requires that your pan is stick and leak proof! Heat oven to 220C, no water bath needed. In a wide bowl, beat sugar and cream cheese. Add eggs and mix well. Mix in the cream, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and orange zest. Sift in the flower while gently folding, until evenly distributed. Pour into the pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes, the cake needs to rise and become very dark (some say black, but I find it to be too much). Avoid over baking, so that the center stays custardy. If you'd like, you can under bake so that it turns out creamy. Remove from the oven and let chill completely before removing from the pan.. Refrigerate to cool. It's best serve slightly below room temperature, so l suggest you let it warm up if refrigerated overnight. Serve with brandy!  

• By Tropicalsenior
      I live in a garlic deprived household because one of my housemates is deathly allergic to all garlic and onions. Sometimes I just want some garlic to munch on and raw garlic is just too much. So I set out to make a garlic snack and this is what I came up with.
      It is sweet with a little bit of sour, soft without being mushy and very, very garlicky. I can see the remaining syrup as a dip for potstickers or a great inclusion in a stir fry sauce.

Candied Garlic

2 heads of garlic, peeled
      1 cup water
      1/2 cup sugar
      2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
      1 tablespoon Chinese black rice vinegar
      15 G ginger, sliced thinly
      1 star anise

Peel the garlic and place in the freezer overnight. Remove the next day and thaw completely.
      Combine the ingredients for the syrup in a small saucepan and bring to a boil stirring until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the Heat and simmer very slowly for 30 minutes. Add the thawed garlic and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Let the garlic cool in the syrup and it is ready to eat.
      Note: I suppose that this could be made with regular rice vinegar but the black vinegar gives it in rich, smoky flavor. I suppose that if I just had the rice vinegar that I would add a drop of smoke flavoring.
      This is the vinegar that I used.
    • By shain
      Makes 12 muffins that can be served either savory or sweet.

See also cornmeal biscuits recipe.

175g cornmeal
      20g butter
      135g AP flour
      2.5 tsp baking powder
      1/4 tsp baking soda
      2 tsp salt
      200ml sour cream
      35g sugar
      1 large egg
      90ml whole fat milk
      apx 250g corn kernels - fresh is best, I sometimes used kernels from grilled corn. Frozen and even canned corn also works great.
      Optional addition:
      - Up to 1/2 tsp black pepper (I never skip the pepper)
      - Chopped chilies of any kind
      - Chopped scallions
      - Chopped cheddar cheese
      - Chopped feta (reduce salt from the muffins)
      - I guess chopped bacon will be really good

- Brush a muffin tin tray with butter, or if you have one, use a silicon muffin tray.
      - Preheat an oven to 220dC.
      - Mix flours, baking powder, soda, salt.
      - Melt the butter, I suggest doing so in a large bowl or pot to which the remaining ingredients can be later added.
      - Mix in the sour cream, egg, sugar, milk, corn kernels and any other optional addition.
      - Mix dry ingredients into wet ones just until uniform. Avoid over mixing.
      - Divide batter among 12 muffin cups.
      - Bake for 15 minutes until set and golden.
      - Let cool for at least 5 minutes and release from tray.
      - For serving: bake again, preferably with convection fan, until deep gold and crisp. Apx 5-10 minutes.
      - Can be served savory with sour cream, cheese or butter; or sweet with butter or sour cream and honey.
      - Leftovers / planned-overs can be frozen, preferably after the first bake.

• By shain
      Makes 9 - Can be doubled.
      Can be made a short time ahead and reheated and crisped for serving. Can also be frozen.

For variation, replace the spices and chilies with 1 tbsp chopped rosemary, and the cheddar with kashkaval / provolone / etc.

See also cornmeal muffins recipe.

- 200ml sour cream, apx 20% fat
      - 60g good Cheddar cheese, grated
      - 2 jalapenos (or other chilies), deseeded and chopped. You can also char them first like when making salsa
      - 1 small spring onion, sliced finely
      ~~
      - 50g cornmeal
      - 140g white flour, pastry flour if available
      - 1 tsp toasted coriander seeds, ground
      - 1/2 tsp toasted cumin, ground
      - Pepper
      - Optional: large pinch MSG
      - 2 tsp sugar
      - 1 tsp salt
      - 3 tsp baking powder
      - 1/4 tsp baking soda

- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
      - Mix remaining ingredients in a second bowl.
      - Dust your working surface.
      - Heat oven to 230 degrees C.
      - Fold wet mixture into dry one into the dry one, pressing and folding bottom up just until it forms a few crumbly dough chunks with some dry flour at the bottom.
      - Remove the mixture onto the dusted working surface.
      - Dust from above.
      - Press together to form a rough rectangle shape.
      - Fold the dough in half on top of itself.
      - Dust and press to flatten into a rough square shape, apx 3 cm (a bit more than an inch) tall.
      - Cut into 9 pieces (3 by 3 grid). Use a bench scraper or a large knife.
      - Place spaced on a baking try with parchment paper.
      - Bake for 13-16 minutes until lightly browned and baked through.
      - Remove from the try and cool on a baking try. 
      - You can serve it immediately, but I much prefer to let it chill for 10 minutes and then bake 5 minutes more until brown and crisp.