• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine courses/degrees

phlox

I'm really itching to go back to school (I finished undergrad almost four years ago) and right now I'm the assistant manager at a pan-Asian restaurant and run the beverage program. We don't have a huge wine list, but I've worked at restaurants that do in the past. I love food and wine and would love to do a degree or certificate program aimed at people in the hospitality industry. I don't want to become a winemaker or anything like that, so something like UD Davis' program isn't quite what I'm after.

Basically, I want to get a masters' in wine and food geekery, but I'm not sure if such a thing exists...

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."

I don't know where you're located, but if you're in an area where they have classes, one option may be the WSET (Wine and Spirit Education Trust), based out of London, but is worldwide. They have several programs of study, the first being the "intermediate" then the "advanced" and finally the "diploma" program which is usually about 2 years long and is very intensive - it is typically used as a basis before entering the Master of Wine program. My wife is just about finished with the diploma, and I can tell you it is very rigorous, in theory, and in tastings. It focuses mostly on theory, and was originally designed as education for wine importers, so there is no focus on restaurant wine service (like a sommelier).

If you'd like to learn theory and tastings and wine service, there is the American Sommelier Association, which is focused on education to be a sommelier.

I know there is another option - a Certified Wine Educator's exam or something, but I don't know if there are classes associated with this, or just a couple of exams to get your certification.

Hope this helps...

The CIA at Greystone (Napa campus) has a 30 week certificate program in wine and beverage studies that is geared towards professionals in the beverage industry. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.ciachef.edu/admissions/news/news_story_univ.asp?iNewsID=1146&strBack=/admissions/news/news_archive_univ.asp&strlocationname=Media%20Room

A sommelier with a great position recently told me that he could do what he does without his CIA degree, and without his sommelier certification, because there is no paucity of good wine out there. But his MBA is what makes the difference in his effectiveness as a buyer for a company that wants to give good value to their customers and make a profit. Something to consider.