• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Mexico Treats

Stopped in Cuba once again to eat at El Brunos.  Chile Rellenos as always.  Delicious as always.  Complementary chips and salsa and sopapillas as always.

However, as soon as I bit into my first chip I thought...these are not right.  They are not the chips of old for which I yearned.  And so it was true.  The hostess admitted that the chip machine broke over a year ago and that they hadn't fixed it yet.  Fie upon them. 

Also had the obligatory Navajo Fry Bread in Shiprock, both going up to Moab and back south two months later from Moab.  Never disappoints.  Fried dough...what more could one want?

To round out this report, I should add that we had Samosas once again at San Jon just at the eastern border of New Mexico right before entering the Texas Panhandle.  Delicious.  Some day we'll actually have an entire meal there but we always pass through fairly early in the morning. 

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, perfect timing on your post!

I leave for my road trip tomorrow. I am trying to decide between Taste of India and Bangkok Tokyo in Amarillo as my first food stop. I can always do the other on my way back home.

I am spending the night in Tucumcari then have a dinner reservation at the Curious Kumquat for Wednesday. 

• Like 4

(As for Chaco Canyon: been there, done that a number of times.  Last time Ed nearly drowned there.  Yep)

How about the ruins at Aztec? Small, but I think they're my favorite. Maybe because my cousins and I have been scrambling over them since we were skinny-legged kids in shorts. But I've been to all the ruins many times and Aztec remains my favorite. There's an intimacy there that you don't find elsewhere.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The Samosas at a Taste of India are to our liking.  I have never tasted any other of the dishes there.  And as for 'restaurant ambiance' ... it is early truck stop. 

I envy you dining at the Curious Kumquat.  Enjoy.  Say hi to Rob from me.  I'd love to meet him.

Enjoy. 

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I just had dinner at The Curious Kumquat!

The restaurant is cozy without being cramped. One feels like a guest in a friend's home and, in fact, the 3 tables in the corner in which I was seated chatted with each other. Service is friendly and efficient. The food was creative and delicious. I had the tasting menu with paired wines. Everything was really good. My favorites were the carrot puree with the spent grain cracker, the sweet corn and dukkah served with the butternut soup, the combination of the quinoa cake with barley rissotto, and the acorn croquette. I also had the great pleasure of meeting Chef Rob!

Edited by cyalexa (log)
  • Like 7