• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Mexico Treats

Well, after a long stint in Bangalore, India, the family and I are making a move to New Mexico. We're going to end up in a little town near the Texas border called Hobbs, but are spending the next few weeks in Alamogordo (another small town near the Texas border that also happens to have an Air Force base).

A couple favorites so far:

Eddies Burritos on First street. A very simple setup, you choose the filling (about 15-20 options, ranging from Mexican to New Mexican choices) and they put it in a fresh tortilla for you. It came local recommended, and I concur. I had the green chili with beef and potatoes, which was finely done. Properly seasoned, with a nice bite and tasting very fresh. There's also a salsa bar with a handful of selections, including Pico, green and red hot sauce and a few others I can't remember. The salsa bar was kept nice and cold, encouraging as to the hygiene level. It was all wonderful, I'll be back tomorrow for another try.

Hi-D-Ho Drive in was highly recommended for their burgers. It looks like the set of a B horror movie, but the green chili burger with everything was tremendous. Absolutely worth a stop if you're driving through. A bit pricey for fast food (8 bucks for a burger and a soda), but a worthy burger, for sure.

Where are your favorite small town spots in 'Not Really New, Not Really Mexico'?

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Where are your favorite small town spots in 'Not Really New, Not Really Mexico'?

Well, while a bit of a drive from Alamogordo (and a much longer drive from Hobbs), my vote for "favorite small town spots" in New Mexico goes to Chopes in La Mesa (on route 28 south of Las Cruces).

So many wonderful places to eat and wonderful things to eat.

I guess my secret favorite would have to be the outdoor Navajo Flea Market in Shiprock where for $1.98 you can buy a Navajo Fry Bread deep fried in some strange 'cooking thing' full of boiling hot oil, topped with sugar or honey and cinnamon. We get one every year on our way from Moab to Gallup. Totally without nutritional value. Love it. :wub:

Best Mexican food I ever ate was in a little place called Lucy's in Carlsbad which was gone the next time we went there.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Well, while a bit of a drive from Alamogordo (and a much longer drive from Hobbs), my vote for "favorite small town spots" in New Mexico goes to Chopes in La Mesa (on route 28 south of Las Cruces).

Great information! I will be staying in Old Mesilla in April so will definitely put a visit to Chopes on the agenda. :biggrin:

Gil Garduno writes a blog from Albuquerque but covering the state that is an excellent resource. You'll see many places I think that will satisfy your interests.

The site is broken down by food type or location.

New Mexico Restaurants/Food

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

We have had lunch several times at the Double Eagle which is in a gorgeous and historic old building right on the Plaza in Mesilla and have never been disappointed. It is wonderful to eat lunch out in the patio with all the tropical-like plants. The old historic wooden bar in the room next door is great to have a drink at as well. While all the food has been good, a standout from the last time I was there was their chile relleno made with local Hatch green chile. It was one of the very best rellenos I've ever had and I make a point of ordering them often in New Mexico.

Here's the link to the restaurant: http://www.double-eagle-mesilla.com/

If you're still in Alamorgordo, have you checked out the restaurant in the hotel at the top of Cloudcroft; The Lodge? http://www.thelodgeresort.com/

We've stuck with steaks when we've ordered there and never been disappointed. Their tableside Caesear Salad is excellent as are the Banana's Foster! The whole meal and ambiance is a satisfying retro treat. Again, they also have an incredible historic wooden bar with nice cocktails offered.

Caliche's is a fun place to get frozen custard in Alamogordo. We like the vanilla custard with sweet/salted local pecans on top.

Well, I have other ideas for "NM treats" but I'm more familiar with places in Abq and Santa Fe. It will be great to hear your experiences in the Roswell area, eventually, and in other places in Southern NM.

If you're in the Mesilla/Las Cruces area for awhile you should check out some places in El Paso as well. There are some tasty establishments down there and it is close to Las Cruces.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 6 months later...

Cuba is a great distance from Hobbs - but if you ever find yourself in the area, El Bruno is an excellent stop. Yesterday three of us stopped for lunch shortly after they opened at 11am. My friends ordered "Regina" - stuffed sopaipillas and I ordered "Torreon" - a Navajo taco. All three of us thought the food was even better than in the past. All three meals were served with a fresh warm sopaipilla and honey. What a way to top off an already excellent meal that only ran $6.95 each.

We then drove on to Farmington for the 50th reunion of our high school class. Tomorrow, a different classmate and I will be having lunch at El Bruno. I wonder what I'll have tomorrow?

Cuba is a great distance from Hobbs - but if you ever find yourself in the area, El Bruno is an excellent stop. Yesterday three of us stopped for lunch shortly after they opened at 11am. My friends ordered "Regina" - stuffed sopaipillas and I ordered "Torreon" - a Navajo taco. All three of us thought the food was even better than in the past. All three meals were served with a fresh warm sopaipilla and honey. What a way to top off an already excellent meal that only ran $6.95 each.

We then drove on to Farmington for the 50th reunion of our high school class. Tomorrow, a different classmate and I will be having lunch at El Bruno. I wonder what I'll have tomorrow?

Wow! And Wow! Who knew? We will be going through Cuba on our way to Albuquerque near the end of November. This piece of information is invaluable! Thank you so much.

Do tell what you eat next. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne - if you are travelling around New Mexico - why not hit Silver City! The Curious Kumquat was just in it's infancy (but was already excellent) when I was there last but these days it has gotten the reputation of the top restaurant in the state. And the price is right! Plus you get to shop for goodies in the store. Where else can you find all those really hard to get ingredients that no one else has?

Darienne - if you are travelling around New Mexico - why not hit Silver City! The Curious Kumquat was just in it's infancy (but was already excellent) when I was there last but these days it has gotten the reputation of the top restaurant in the state. And the price is right! Plus you get to shop for goodies in the store. Where else can you find all those really hard to get ingredients that no one else has?

Would that we actually could. I wrote to Rob a number of times when he was on eGullet and still miss his contributions. I do follow his blog. I know that you taught classes down there in Silver City. It must have been a great time for all. Last time we were in Silver City was in the 80's.

However, many years have passed since our roaming days! On the way home from Moab, we have only two destinations in NM: Gallup & Albuquerque, and then it's the I-40 east. If we took more 'time', then it would be spent in Moab. Blinkered, I know, but Moab is my 'home away from home' and I don't ever get enough of the red rocks, blue skies and low humidity.

Still, talk about a place with dreadful restaurants...Moab is it. There are a very few 'upscale' restaurants which are out of our snack bracket. We were once treated to one of them, Mi Vida, and found the food good, but not at all warranting the steep prices.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Today, I ordered a stuffed sopaipilla with chicken and green chile - to see if my friends were right on Friday. They were! My meal was enjoyed every bit as much as my Friday lunch. There is still much on the menu that I would like to try - but it must wait until the next trip.

We did learn that an Albuquerque El Bruno's location is being planned. Where and when is not known by me, but surely by the time I return to New Mexico.

Edited by Milt (log)

Good news, Milt. If you hear anything, do let me know. We spend some time in Albuquerque on our way home each trip out west and that would be a bit better than trying to fit in a meal in Cuba which is just too far to wait for lunch, and too close to lunch to make dinner.

Mid-afternoon snack or dessert might be just the thing.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I forgot I started this thread...but glad to hear all the good recommendations!

Our short time in Alamo didn't uncover any faves other than the ones I mentioned at the top - although I did try one of the Chinese buffets that (honestly) had a poster for a missing cat on the front door...

Here in Hobbs, things are pretty limited, but we're discovering some decent places.

The one standout is 'Taste of Italy' on Dal Paso street. A small place, with excellent, well made & presented Italian food. Also some very nice seafood options (which are hard to come by these parts). It's just a little off-putting to have such a meal served by someone who says 'Y'all' every other word... ;)

Some decent daily stops: Dan's Mexican also on Dal Paso, and Pacific Rim, a quasi-asian place up on Joe Harvey are good stops. Other than that, it's lots of chain restaurants. Tia Juana's is a decent Mexican meal, served by less than cheery servers.

Still looking for a standout Mexican meal....

PastaMeshugana

• 2 months later...

We dined at El Bruno's in Cuba, NM, a couple of weeks ago and all the glowing recommendations were 100% true from the excellent chips and salsa to the complimentary dessert sopapillas.

We ordered Chiles Rellenos and beef Chimichangas, neither of which I have ever seen in Canada. Delicious.

Service was good. What's left to say?

Go there if you get the chance.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 years later...

El Brunos is a great stop after a day visiting Chaco Culture National Historic Park on your way back to Albuquerque. Also handy if you are traveling between Abq and Durango/southwestern Colorado). Lots of nice seating inside and a very pretty outdoor courtyard if the weather is right.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

We've been to El Bruno's twice since my last post, 2011 & 2012. Always the Chile Rellenos. Can't get enough of them and I'm too lazy to make them very often.

(As for Chaco Canyon: been there, done that a number of times. Last time Ed nearly drowned there. Yep)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Since my last post in this thread, I have to change my recommendations for Hobbs:

Taste of Italy is Closed

Dan's has gone way down hill

Pacific Rim has traded all their 'quasi-asian' cuisine for certified tex-mex. They even have a sushi dish served with BBQ sauce...

However - I found my stand-out mexican meal at a place on the south side called El Mirador. The tacos al pastor are the best I've ever had, asado is within the top-ten, and huevos rancheros are very good as well.

The 'hidden gem' of our city has turned out to be a steakhouse called Saxony, stuffed into a dive-y hotel on the east side. Fantastic steak product & preparation, great sides like asparagus sautéed in and served with fresh sliced garlic and chili. Sautéed mushrooms are also great.

PastaMeshugana

• 1 year later...

I'm planning a road trip from Oklahoma to Phoenix and back. I will probably take the more northerly route outbound and expect to spend my first night in Tucumcari.

Any recommendations for food places between Amarillo and Tucumcari? I read the recommendation for El Bruno's in Albuquerque, any other suggestions? How about in Gallup?

On the way back to I will take the more southerly route so I can dine at the Curious Kumquat.  

• Like 1

Between Amarillo and Tucumcari is a lot of not much.  However, there's a truck stop in San Jon just inside the New Mexico border which serves East Indian truckers mainly but we always stop there to get a few samosas, no matter what time of day we go through. 

I think their menu is much expanded now and you can buy an entire meal.  It's never been meal time when we have gone through.  You can certainly buy all sorts of dried and canned ingredients to make many Indian dishes.  Lots of East Indian nibblies.  Which I love.  

It's not fancy, but the food is good.  The staff is friendly, even the ones whose English is very limited. 

ps.  Just asked DH if he remembered eating in Tucumcari and he reminded me of a Mexican restaurant in Moriarty where we once ate a very good breakfast...but that was long ago. 

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

ABQ is either Los Poblanos or Farm and Table for nicer, but Mary and Titos is good too. I would find my buddy at Swich Food Truck, normally parked at Red Door Brewery. The ABQ brewing scene is really hot and getting national attention - La Cumbre, Marble, Red Door, Abbey. Been hearing about Gravy for breakfast. And of course the Green Chile Cheeseburger trail - Owl, Laguna and more. 

We'll be heading home to Ontario via Albuquerque pretty soon and are looking forward to a meal in Cuba.  Yummm...Chile Rellenos and Chimichangas. 

Moab is a Mexican food wasteland now that the little restaurant that served the Hispanic workers who were here for a couple of years building the new bridge over the Colorado has left.  The bridge is finished.  The only decent restaurant, El Miguel, is closed for the winter season.  And it's open only at dinner time and we old timers eat our big meal at noon.  The other Mexican restaurants are pretty...well...pretty awful.  In Moab, we make our own Mexican food. 

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We'll be heading home to Ontario via Albuquerque pretty soon and are looking forward to a meal in Cuba.  Yummm...Chile Rellenos and Chimichangas. 

Moab is a Mexican food wasteland now that the little restaurant that served the Hispanic workers who were here for a couple of years building the new bridge over the Colorado has left.  The bridge is finished.  The only decent restaurant, El Miguel, is closed for the winter season.  And it's open only at dinner time and we old timers eat our big meal at noon.  The other Mexican restaurants are pretty...well...pretty awful.  In Moab, we make our own Mexican food. 

The only place I can remember having a great meal in all of Utah was George's Corner cafe in St. George.  I think we were on our way to or from a dog show - there were six or seven of us and they did not bat an eye when we walked in, just hustled a couple of tables together and produced great service and excellent food.  It wasn't cheap but the portions were so generous it was worth it. 

I had a burrito - could only consume about half and the rest was packed to go and they added small containers of salsa and sour cream - which I did not discover until later.  They also filled water bottles and a thermos of coffee for a couple in our group.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

However, there's a truck stop in San Jon just inside the New Mexico border which serves East Indian truckers mainly but we always stop there to get a few samosas, no matter what time of day we go through. 

ps.  Just asked DH if he remembered eating in Tucumcari and he reminded me of a Mexican restaurant in Moriarty where we once ate a very good breakfast...but that was long ago. 

googled and found:

"Russells Truck & Travel Center

Located on Historic Route 66, Russell's Truck and Travel Center is a State of the Art Facility.

Offering multiple services, we invite you to come and see why we're the #1 stop for all of your

convenience needs. A complete grocery store, an authentic Route 66 Diner, a classic car and 

memorabilia museum, a chapel, and the best showers on the planet." 

"The Taste Of India - American _Restaurant Located on Inter state 40 between AmarilloTX (93 mile) & Albuquerque NM (199 mile) on Exit No 356 on west bound I-40 2405 State HWY  469  SAN JON  NM" Looks like the samosas are highly regarded at this establishment.

and

Several Mexican restaurants in Moriarity, the two most highly rated are La Salita andEl Modelo

• Like 1

ABQ is either Los Poblanos or Farm and Table for nicer, but Mary and Titos is good too. I would find my buddy at Swich Food Truck, normally parked at Red Door Brewery. The ABQ brewing scene is really hot and getting national attention - La Cumbre, Marble, Red Door, Abbey. Been hearing about Gravy for breakfast. And of course the Green Chile Cheeseburger trail - Owl, Laguna and more. 

Thanks, I'll google these places. I enjoy a good craft brew, especially malty ales. Most likely I will be in ABQ for lunch unless I decide to spend an extra night on my way home.