• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

anyone have the muffin recipe from the vegetarian epicure?

zoe b

I'm in Houston visiting my Mom--had to delay my flight back to NJ due to storms coming--and I'm getting antsy--have to bake something--the muffins seem like the simplest, least disruptive thing to make in my Mom's kitchen (immaculate & carefully organized--feel like a giant messy clod in it)

I can't remember whether it's in 1 or 2--and I know the Hub could never find the recipe due to the mountain of disor ganized cookbooks in the bookshelves.

email me if you don't want to post it here--I almost have it memorized, but not quite.

thanks! Zoe (zoebleck@gmail.com

I've got it, but there are three recipes...

corn and rye muffins

1 c whole wheat flour

3/4 c yellow corn meal

1/4 c dark rye flour

1 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1-1/2 c buttermilk

1 egg

1/4 c vegetable oil

1/4 c honey

four-grain muffins

3/4 c whole wheat flour

3/4 c yellow corn meal

1/2 c dark rye flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 c rolled oats

1-1/2 c milk

1 egg

1/4 c vegetable oil

1/4 c honey

oatmeal muffins

1-1/2 c whole wheat flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

3/4 c rolled oats

1/4 c ground filberts (optional)

1 c milk

1 egg

3 tbsp melted butter

2 tbsp molasses

1/2 c currants

all three recipes are mixed as usual for muffins, then baked for approx 20 minutes @ 400°.

which recipe are you making? I've never actually tried any of these.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

wow, thanks for the recipes, emmalish--

That's so funny--I guess in my head there was only one--since that is what i always make--the oatmeal muffins--they are reslly wonderful--very dense, but moist--the molasses makes them nice & sweet--they really taste different from any other muffin recipe.

I've played a lot with the recipe--adding banana, apples, almost any fruit that you like in muffins--I also use oil rather than butter--and you can cut out one tbls of the oil and they are still good--Thomas was writing her books just before the age of fat reduction after all, so she spares no thought for low fat....

you can use different flours, even leftover rice works.

They keep really well, too--I've always made them for trips--packed some fruit, cheese, hard boiled eggs--no need to eat crap on the road.

off to the storeto get the ingredients--hate to admit it, but there's a huge Wal-mart a 10 minute walk from my Mom's --I truly do not like Wal-Mart, but I love being able to walk over & pick up food--I live in the country, and in the country you only walk for your exercise, you can't actually go anywhere walking.

Zoe