• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nut Chopper

Darienne

Chopping nuts this morning in my latest style Pampered Chef Food Chopper which I got at a second-hand store in Moab, I thought my arms (used both hands) would fall off before I managed to get the ruddy almonds chopped finely enough.

What do other folks use for nut chopping. My food processor is way too large. (I was chopping one cup of a few different kinds for a breakfast dish called "nutolla", a sort of granola without grains and sweetener.) I suppose I could try the Bullet which someone gave me which is somewhere in my life. Never could get the 'hang' of the thing.

What about finding one of those one-cup food processors? I had one and gave it away because it was so small. Never thought of nuts. And I was much younger then and could pound away on the chopper handle with no problem.

What to do? :huh:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I didn't have a mini-prep of any kind, nor a nut-grinding attachment for any appliance, so I broke down and purchased the Cuisinart Spice and Nut Grinder (about $30 plus shipping from Amazon.) It's great--it can grind really hard spices and, once you master how fast it is, can do nuts from chunky to flour-like. My husband uses it to grind small amounts of whole grains for multi-grain breads. The size is a good compromise--bigger than a coffee grinder, but small enough for spices. Bowl detaches from motor and is easy to wash. Until last year I was using an antique: hand-powered spring-loaded blades that screw onto a straight-sided canning jar with a funky wooden round that sort of fit the bottom as a chopping surface. Just about the most labor-intensive and inadequate gadget I ever owned and possibly slower than just using a knife.

Thanks all for the information and suggestions. Perhaps I wasn't very clear about what it was I wanted. I don't want to grind the nuts, just chop them into small pieces.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Unless there are some really good nut choppers out there that haven't been mentioned so far, I'll probably spring for a small food processor. I'll get my DH to look at the local second-hand stores. They're the sort of thing that people get and then get rid of...too small to be of much use really.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The Braun Multimix is a good thing, if you can find one in your price range (at a yard sale, etc.) it's a handle with removable parts: an immersion blender, egg beater and 1 cup food processor.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)

Wasn't there a recent thread where we looked at nut choppers - the old glass kind and the new plastic Progressive version of the same.

I put the word 'nut' into the search in Kitchen Consumer and found only two unrelated headings. It seemed safe.

Can anyone point out the recent thread?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Growing up, we had a glass and metal nut chopper. The glass caught the chopped nutmeats, and there was a metal hopper with tines that pushed the nuts through a grid (not really a grid, but I can't think of a name for it). Low tech, but it worked. I've seen them in plastic at some store, but I can't remember where.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Growing up, we had a glass and metal nut chopper. The glass caught the chopped nutmeats, and there was a metal hopper with tines that pushed the nuts through a grid (not really a grid, but I can't think of a name for it). Low tech, but it worked. I've seen them in plastic at some store, but I can't remember where.

I think you mean one like this: http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-Heavy-Duty-Chopper/dp/B0007ZEU2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1265768524&sr=8-1

I have them. I have old ones and newer ones like this that have the measurements marked on the jar.

I've given them as "stocking gifts" or included them in gift baskets to new homemakers (both male and female, moving away from home for the first time.)

They are inexpensive and they work.

You put the nuts in the hopper and crank in one direction for coarse chopping and in the other direction for finer bits.

It works best with the softer nuts - sometimes raw almonds get a bit hard if they are old, and may not chop as easily but blanched almonds are no problem.

The way I mostly use it is to put the nuts into the jar and turn it upside down over whatever the nuts are going to be applied to and grind away, moving it about as required.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The Braun Multimix is a good thing, if you can find one in your price range (at a yard sale, etc.) it's a handle with removable parts: an immersion blender, egg beater and 1 cup food processor.

(edited for spelling)

I second this recommendation! The multimix is my go-to appliance for a variety of prep. Processor attachment is definitely a good nut chopper. Makes good breadcrumbs, too. Easy to clean (dishwasher!), and lightweight.

Karen Dar Woon

Interesting, or rather distressing. The 'old' one was metal and glass...the 'new' one is plastic, and therefore will break more easily.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Here you go. Knew we'd be talking about it not that long ago.

Thanks Kerry. Did not find that topic because it was in 'Pastry and Baking' and of course I looked in 'Kitchen Consumer'.

Now to look in the second-hand stores for either an old fashioned nut chopper or a little food processor.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks Andie.

Needless to say these are not available on Amazon.ca (Canada). Invariably, the prices for the same items on Amazon.ca are much higher than the prices on Amazon.com (USA). T'was ever thus, as others have already pointed out. It's the second-hand store for me...well, for Ed. He frequents them while I'm at various appointments in the city. :smile:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

(edited for spelling)

I second this recommendation! The multimix is my go-to appliance for a variety of prep. Processor attachment is definitely a good nut chopper. Makes good breadcrumbs, too. Easy to clean (dishwasher!), and lightweight.

I agree also. I have this one - posted pics in the Basic condiments

where I prepared aioli in it.

Later I bought the Wolfgang Puck unit with similar attachments and bowl because there was a super deal on it and I have seen it deeply discounted several times.

I gave one of the much less expensive Nesco units (looks almost exactly like the Bosch) to a friend as a housewarming present (along with a few other little necessities.)

She reports that it works very well for making salsa, to which her husband is addicted! :biggrin:

In my opinion, these multi-purpose units are more versatile and useful than the small stand-alone mini-prep processors.

My friend who lives in Niagara reported back to me this morning that Caynes has the Kitchenaid with all attachments for 69.99 and she has seen the Braun at an automotive discount store for less than 40.00 Canadian. (Didn't note the name.)

I have no idea why an auto store would be selling an immersion blender but stranger things have happened. Maybe I should check Pep Boys more often! :laugh:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have no idea why an auto store would be selling an immersion blender but stranger things have happened. Maybe I should check Pep Boys more often! :laugh:

Canadian Tire was originally just an auto store. Then they added more and more and more, including kitchen wares of all kinds. Now believe it or not, they are going to add groceries. It was announced in the newspaper a few days ago.

So, this morning in the city, we went to Value Village and there it was, a mini-processor for $4.99. I bought it.

I'll still keep an eye out for something more suitable at yard sales which in this frozen north don't start until late spring I think.

Thanks. :smile:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks Andie.

Needless to say these are not available on Amazon.ca (Canada). Invariably, the prices for the same items on Amazon.ca are much higher than the prices on Amazon.com (USA). T'was ever thus, as others have already pointed out. It's the second-hand store for me...well, for Ed. He frequents them while I'm at various appointments in the city. :smile:

Pretty sure I saw one at Homesense last time I was there.

We're in the city again tomorrow. I'll look. Thanks. :smile:

p.s. The 'city' being Peterborough. :laugh:

p.p.s. No they don't have one, and I read the reviews of the nut chopper and so many of them were downright scary that I think I'll pass on this one.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Be sure and post about your results with using the mini-processor. Interested parties are awaiting your review. :smile:

I still like my old wood bowl and the chopper I inherited. I can sit with my feet up and chop away while watching the news.

They don't make them like that any more but it is still a good design and I can use it left-handed.

Be sure and post about your results with using the mini-processor. Interested parties are awaiting your review. :smile:

It was just a trial run and I realize that I could have chopped the almonds smaller. It won't be perfect, but they were straight out of the freezer and that's not too bad.mini-chopper and almonds.jpg

Also the pieces look larger in the photo than they actually are. Mommy wants a new camera with a macro lens.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The photo is good enough to document your successful result.

Much easier on the hands, eh? :rolleyes: