• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast in San Fran

Michael M

We're staying at Hotel Vertigo near Hyde and California and looking for great breakfasts, which we love (and tend to have early). Components: good coffee (Intelligentsia in Chicago, Stumptown in Seattle), interesting breakfast items (perhaps beyond the usual pancake/egg, or at least well-done versions of the basics) and perhaps near public transportation (though we love to walk).

Any ideas?

When I lived in SF, I was out by the avenues (wa-ay out by Ocean Beach), so I can't help you much with breakfast places downtown. One place comes to mind, where I've never had the breakfast, only lunches & dinners, but it's been a good reliable place to eat: Park Chow, close to public transportation (MUNI, J line to Church St). Another Park Chow is located at 9th & Irving (MUNI on the NJudah line, stops at the corner), near Golden Gate Park and the new California Academy of Sciences (but check out the admission price for the Calif Acad before you decide to go).

Park Chow website with location info & breakfast menus:

http://www.chowfoodbar.com/church_menu.html

Arizmendi Bakery, also at 9th & Irving , doesn't really serve a big breakfast, just some great fresh-baked breads and pastries and good coffee. There are a couple benches with low tables where you can eat and drink and people-watch. This is one of my favorite stops when I'm in SF.

http://www.arizmendibakery.org/

If you decide to take MUNI to these places, probably starting from the Civic Center station, pls do not walk from your hotel to Market St. Take a taxi. That area is a little scuzzy in the early morning hours.

Caffe Trieste is the ultimate SF coffee place, locals version for 50 years or more. Great coffee, fresh oj, pastries. Excellent people watching. It is on Vallejo just across Broadway...a hike across Chinatown for you, but an authentic SF experience.

Not sure how far you want to walk, but Canteen, Butler and the Chef, Dottie's True Blue Cafe, Brenda's French Soul Food, Tartine, and La Boulange du Cole are all quite good.

Long winded and picture-laden reviews on the blog: http://uhockey.blogspot.com/search/label/San%20Francisco (those are all entries tagged with San Fran, so just scroll)

Edited by uhockey (log)

It would be a shame to leave San Francisco without visiting Tartine - one of the best bakeries in the country - particularly at breakfast. They make incredible scones, morning buns, frangipane croissants and bread pudding that have locals lining up every day. I have to control my urges to fly out there just for breakfast.

Boulette's Larder at the Ferry Building serves a nice breakfast, or, if you prefer, stroll through the building itself and choose your own breakfast - cheese from Cowgirl Creamery, bread from Acme, great fruit tarts from Frog Hollow Farm and coffee from the famous Blue Bottle roasters.