• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

packed frying powders for chicken karaage

Toufas

i went and got one of each brand to test them. i went with the pictures on the back and i wasnt very impressed. i understand that some of them are asking for the chicken to be soaked in milk or water in order for the flour mixture to stick better, then rest it for 10 mins and then cooked. That went fine. The one that said you need to make a paste with flour and water didnt go very well as it was like eating chicken donuts :P

any word of advice? i could take photos of the packaging if it will help you understand better.

General information only, because I've never used the latter type, which is called mizu toki type (mix-with-water type), and I have used the former type only a few times.

The latter type has these features, among others: No marinating time required, and contaminates the oil less than the former type.

I wonder if you used the proper amount of water to make a "paste".

I personally hate the very artificial flavors of such pre-made mixes.

i have 2 left now

the first one is a brown packet and it says : frying batter mix (tatsuta-age ko) nissin seifun

the 2nd flour mix nippn karaageko and its a white packet. from what i understand it needs 500g chicken, 50g of the mix and 45 ml of milk and you leave it for 5-10 mins

This one from Nippon says on its

back:

1. Mix 100 g of this mix with 100 ml water in a bowl.

2. Add ingredient (500 g chicken, for example), and rub for about 30 seconds.

3. Deep-fry at 160-170C.

So, I guess that the marinating time of 5-10 minutes is way too long.

Sorry, I added additional information in bold.

Do you recognize the Nippn packet from this line-up?

link

I always get the impression that people use these mixes for speed and convenience when making bentos...the end product seems to be designed to be robust enough to last several hours in edible condition, rather than to mimic the best fresh-made karaage.

I went shopping around noon, and found only four different karaage mixes. I was unable to find the one Toufas mentioned.

The two brands ("kona" type, which isn't mixed with water) say to marinate the chicken for 3 and 5 minutes, respectively.

The one brand ("mizu toki" (mix-with-water type)), which happens to be one I linked to upthread, says to marinate the chicken for 10 seconds (as I mentioned upthread), and the other "mizu toki" brand makes no mention of marinating (probably requires no marinating).