• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glass mixing bowl

edwardsboi

I think Pyrex probably would be a good bet. You might look for one that indicates the glass is tempered, if such a thing is available.

We have some Pyrex casserole dishes that I bought quite a few years ago. I would think some version of them is still available. If you could find the size you need, the handles on the side would make them easier to handle than a bowl, plus they're specifically made to take heat - but not rapid changes in heat.

For mixing I'd worry more about size/shape than maker.

That said, I love Pyrex stuff and would probably go with that by default.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Pyrex, Fireking (same name, different language, different companies) and Anchor Hocking all make tempered glass mixing bowls, as far as I know. As noted above, you really need to look at the geometry of the bowl. Will it fit properly in your chosen pan and serve as the inner pot in a double boiler? If not, then keep looking.

I am especially fond of the Pyrex mixing bowl set that comes with lids - 4 bowls, 4 lids, all color-coordinated. The bowls are relatively shallow and are especially good for, say, bread doughs or marinades. For years I've just used the white glass bowls (possibly also Pyrex) that came with my mixer way back when. Those bowls were perfect in their heft and capacity, until Pyrex came out with the more gently-sloped sets that are my current favorite. Sure, they have a bigger footprint. No, they will definitely not fit on the turntable of my Hamilton Beach mixer that's older than I am. But they are pretty, and they're great for hand-mixing.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I guess it depends what you plan to cook in it but I wouldn't recommend glass at all to use as a double boiler (bain marie). You need a metal bowl. Glass doesn't conduct heat as well as metal so it can take a lot longer to cook. For example, I tried to make Lemon Cream with a glass bowl and stirred for 2 hours without reaching the required temperature. After reading in the Pastry/Baking Forum about glass vs metal, I cooked the same thing in 10 minutes which is how long the recipe said it should take. Just my 2 cents.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Duralex Duralex Duralex. The company that invented tempered glass makes wonderful bowls. Get one of the sets -- like this -- that all nest together. Gorgeous, durable, and easy to store. I wouldn't buy the cheap glass they put the "Pyrex" name on nowadays given such an excellent and affordable alternative.

But I agree with CanadianBakin' that using glass for a double boiler is likely to be a frustrating choice.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

Agree that for heat conduction, metal is going to be better than glass.

However, if you really want a 'glass' item, see if you can find a glass ceramic ("vitroceramic") item.

Made of similar stuff to 'glass' cooktops.

Not cheap. Very tough. Very safe.

Apart from Corning, not sure who else might offer this material.

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I guess it depends what you plan to cook in it but I wouldn't recommend glass at all to use as a double boiler (bain marie). You need a metal bowl. Glass doesn't conduct heat as well as metal so it can take a lot longer to cook. For example, I tried to make Lemon Cream with a glass bowl and stirred for 2 hours without reaching the required temperature. After reading in the Pastry/Baking Forum about glass vs metal, I cooked the same thing in 10 minutes which is how long the recipe said it should take. Just my 2 cents.

This is really good information. I do use a metal bowl, but only because that's what I have, not because I chose it for any particular reason. Good to know. Thanks.