• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jaded Nyers In Need Of Genius

mogsob

Returning to NY for the holidays and scheduled to meet friends for dinner. Collectively, we have been to most of the best places in town and cannot agree on where to go. Suggestions have ranged from Danube (shot down for limited menu for non-meat eaters and fact that I can fly to Austria for less than nothing these days) to Il Buco (fine, but not worthy of a return trip), Annisa (blah), Blue Hill (ditto). Note: these remarks are not all mine, so no flames please!

We don't want to go upscale -- no ties, no $150 per person tabs. But we want someplace special food-wise. Something to light our inner gastronomic flame and instantly silence the lot of us, until someone says: "Damn that shit is good."

Those who recommend Miracle Grill, any JG restaurant, or anything remotely near Times Square will be shot on site.

Welll.  Perhaps remotely near Times Square, but I want to return to Esca after a pretty good lunch there a couple of weeks ago.

Nick

Nick -

Esca's been the source of many discussions on the board. Would you be willing to comment on the menu and your choices?

Thanks

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I just had lunch at Cafe Boulud today, and with all of the talk of upscale NY restaurant "malaise", my faith in our fine city's food was restored. No tie necessary.

Everything was exceptional: a delicate golden beet salad with roasted pumpkin seeds and fried red beet shavings for crunch, with a dab of ethereal goat cheese in the middle; sauteed bay scallops of superior quality with a touch of tangerine and celery. Trying to determine the jus it was in--meaty, but light, with a touch of sweetness....

It's been more than 6 months since my last visit and I'm happy to report that neither the quality nor service is flagging. :biggrin:

Esca's been the source of many discussions on the board. Would you be willing to comment on the menu and your choices?

It was a quick lunch at the bar. I had the crudo, yeah overpriced, but pristine ( a girls got to make food cost somehow :wink: ). The octopus over frisee with corona beans was a terrific med style dish. Big flavors and very competently handled octopus. A quatro of wine at the excellent barman's suggestion and as the day wore on good conversation with him and his wife (fromager at picholine), who happened to drop in. Good vibe from the Maitre'Ds who sat me as a walk in. Couldn't ask for a more pleasent lunch.

Nick

Nick, was the crudo anything other than slivers of fish so coated in oil and salt that the flavor was indiscernible?  I am still trying to figure out whether I had it on a bad day or whether it's supposed to be like that.  :unsure:

Very good question Wilfred, I felt the same way when I had the crudo there. It wasn't bad, just difficult to taste fish beyond the oil and salt

Nick, was the crudo anything other than slivers of fish so coated in oil and salt that the flavor was indiscernible?  I am still trying to figure out whether I had it on a bad day or whether it's supposed to be like that.   :unsure:

Well, it was miniscule :biggrin: relative to price (15.00 if memory serves) There were three types of fish. I beleieve Three Nantucket Bay Scallops, I think halibut (possibly cod , but the parasite issue may preclude this) and sashimi grade fluke. The Fluke and Halibut/cod were slivery looking and similar in appearance, but I didn't find the dishes overly salted. The fish were dressed with three different olive oils and three different salts. Far too long ago for me to remember what ws what. I do remember things tasting clean and pristine. Very fresh.

edit:

I don't think the fluke or cod has much going for it in the flavor department. The whole point being the olive oil and salt, IMO. Just a thought. The scallops on the othe rhand did have a lot of briny flavor.

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

I did not like Esca and Cafe Boulud enough to have returned. Right now I am touting Babbo, Jewel Bako and Ouest, all of which have been discussed extensively on eGullet. Ouest is the most New Yorkish of the three, obviously, and seems to fit your criteria well. It is not unusal or personal to any great degree; just comfortable, honest and generous. Other than a longish wait between the appetizers and main courses, service was fine. I am looking to go back.

The answer is to get louped at Lupa.  Not upscale but absolutely excellent.

Hey, I resemble that remark. :wink:

I had a terrific lunch at Lupa last Saturday - standouts were the house-made mortadella, and the lightest ricotta gnocchi I've ever tasted.

Yes, Lupa. I can't stop going - the food it really, really, really good. The service is lovely. I really like the wine list (and the sommelier service is good, too). And it's quite reasonably priced for what it is. It's currentlyone of my favorite restaurants. Don't miss the pork shin with rose glaze. Outstanding dish. And do have gnocchi or ravioli of some kind. Also, be sure to try some of their amari - if you're nice to the wine captain, he may even bring out some of the illegal ones that aren't listed...

Edited by La Niña (log)