• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heinz Revamps the Ketchup Packet

Chris Hennes

According to this AP story (they have a picture, too) Heinz is introducing a new type of ketchup packet to making dipping easier on the go. From the article:

The new design has a base that's more like a cup for dipping and also a tear-off end for squeezing, plus it holds three times as much ketchup than a traditional packet.

What do you think? I dunno if I need three times as much ketchup, for one thing...

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I am not a fast fooder, but I have watched many a teenage boy. First they can't get the packet open, then once they rip it with their teeth, they squeeze and a miniscule amount comes out. I think the duality of squeeze on one end, dip on the other part will confuse people. Just having it in the cup like the other sauces makes sense. I am comparing it the ranch or honey mustard that is just in a little cup. I rarely see someone squeeze the stuff on their fries; dipping is the norm I observe.

• 1 month later...

While it's a small thing, it's probably useful to many people who eat in their car and while driving and talking on their cell phone. They are not doing enough to get into an accident.

... Shel

If the container is rigid enough to be used as a cup it might be too rigid to squeeze easily.

Also, it seems to me the peel-back "dipping" part of the packet might come undone when squeezing, getting ketchup all over your hand in the best case.

While it's a small thing, it's probably useful to many people who eat in their car and while driving and talking on their cell phone. They are not doing enough to get into an accident.

:laugh:

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I don't know what impact these packets will have, but I think ketchup packets will play an important role after the nuclear apocalypse. Feral, deranged humans will roam ancient landfills, searching for the many millions of unopened ketchup packets thrown away with fast food dinners, the greatest luxury left on the earth. Fear the coming of the condiment-dependent semi-humans at the end of the world!

Does Popeye's use the same sort of packet for their jam in the US? I remember getting biscuits at Popeye's in Korea and they had these sort of packs, but with strawberry jam in them instead. I remember thinking at the time that it got rid of the need for knives..clever.

I think the duality of squeeze on one end, dip on the other part will confuse people.

If this confuses people, I can't imagine there being much hope left for humanity.

/Pictures people, frozen with indecision; poised over their fries - "Do I dip? Do I squeeze?...!?"/

Actually, there may be an ad campaign in there somewhere.

• 6 months later...

The Japanese mustard/ketchup package is indeed quite an innovation. I don't eat corn dogs often, but it was a lot of fun to squeeze out the ketchup.

Heinz needs to license this technology

Japanese dispenser packs

The package itself squeezes out the contents. The ones with mustard and ketchup come along with hot dogs and corn dogs at convenience stores.

My blog about food in Japan

Foodie Topography

www.foodietopography.com

• 4 months later...

I finally saw these on offer at the Chick-Fil-A chain, so I grabbed about 20 of them and have been testing them on friends and family.

Let me say that my friends and family are mostly 99th-percentile, highly educated and intelligent people. Yet, as a group they are not smart enough to use these ketchup packets properly. They can't grasp that there are two ways to open them. They either notice one or the other and do that. Explaining the choice makes no difference, and isn't understood anyway. I almost came to blows with one family member over the definitions of dip and squeeze.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I finally saw these on offer at the Chick-Fil-A chain, so I grabbed about 20 of them and have been testing them on friends and family.

I got one the other week in fast food bag as well. Like you, mine came from Chick-Fil-A!!

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Just read through all the posts..........

This whole thing kind of reminds me of back in the 80's when the pop mnfctrs stopped putting on pull-off tabs on cans and went with those one-piece stay-on-the-can jobbies. A lot of people had trouble figuring out that one too.

I don't frequent fast food places that much, maybe it's once every couple of weeks with the kids at Mc D's, but I like the arrangement that they have:

One big dispensor that takes a 100 oz can and a stack of mini dixie cups. Customers can help themselves.

I know this system has it's negatives, but let's look at the positives for a minute:

-People take what they need, and not stuff ketchup packets in their purse or glove compartment where they eventually get thrown out anyway.

-Ketchup isn't automatically put in every order wher it may or may not get used

I don't know if packaging is a point or not. Certainly the dixie cups do cost something, but then again, they are not a laminated foil/plastic item either.

Comments?

Edward J -The dixie cup and dispenser certainly works inside the venue, but what about take away which I always assumed was the majority of the business?