• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yatai shows up in Richmond

fud

Remember Tenku? That crazy trailer in the middle of a parking lot off elmbridge (by the Rona)? The owner served up giant takoyaki-style balls called Bakudanyaki (otherwise known as "bomb"-yaki). Well he's made some friends! Now there's a Ramen shop and a hand rolled cone shop to complete the set of 3 trailers.

On top of this they appear to have budded up to a Richmond-City built inukshuk made of containers.

Japanese "street" food finally, truly, invades the lower mainland. I'm going to be paying them a little visit today to see if the food lives up to the concept. I can say right now I'm already excited.

Here's a great little blog writeup I found on the place(s) Yumorama Review

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

IMG_0084.JPG

I just returned from Yatai heaven and it was good fun. Even with some rain there were a decent number of people enjoying hot ramen noodles, hand rolls and giant takoyaki's. The owner is a dynamic and funny fellow who pretty much designed and built all three stalls starting with Tenku. He's managed to hire some help to man the other stalls as he runs back and forth ensuring quality control. I believe his grand plan is to clone himself three ways or more in order to maintain a level of continuity. There is also a permanent shack with tables for people to stand over and enjoy their recent purchases. This was most useful in the rainy weather.

IMG_0085.JPG

As I mentioned there is indeed a giant container-Inukshuk which is rather odd looking but hey it certainly draws attention to the place.

IMG_0088.JPG

The doorway to Ramen

IMG_0092.JPG

Miso Ramen with egg, fresh veggies, garlic chips and pork (oh the pork was nice and fatty....oh lordy)

IMG_0093.JPG

Hand roll with nori, salmon rice, tuna sashimi, tobiko, avocado and some chili mayo

I'd say this was a worthwhile visit and I am looking forward to trying the Ton Ramen when he gets stocked up again. G-Men still gets the prize for ramen noodle quality but for a trailer in the middle of a parking lot, I'm highly impressed with the noodles. I also love the "bring your own bowl" policy which helps with reducing waste and you get a "little extra" when you bring your own bigger bowl.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I wish I had a better camera but I guess the point got across. You should talk to the owner, he's quite a character and he has funny stories on how the city still can't figure out what he's trying to do. They kept telling him to pour concrete foundations. He had this look on this face like "huh? how would I leave then?"