• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Didcot Parkway, Oxfordshire

Hi all - hope someone can help? I am visiting friends in didcot parkway at the weekend and we will be stopping for lunch on the way back to another friend in hertfordshire. Probably want to stop nearer Didcot than anywhere else and this is not an area i know well - any advice from my fellow egulleters?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

The Goose in Britwell Salome is only 9 miles away, and was very nice the last time I went there. It's also just regained it's Michelin star after changing chefs, so they must be still doing something right!

I'd go along with that, although we haven't been there recently ourselves.

We used to live in Didcot (it's the station which is Didcot Parkway) and to be honest I wouldn't recommend going there for lunch.

There are various pubs in nearby villages which are OK, but most of the better options (apart from The Goose) are in the Oxford direction.

If you're feeling hungry (they don't do "dainty") there is The Mole Inn (which has a Bib Gourmand) in Toot Baldon - about 12 miles away.

Another place which is good (and has a Michelin star), but further afield is The Nut Tree at Murcott, north of Oxford - the chef is Mike North, who was at The Goose a few years back. If you do choose to go there, do make sure that you check out the route carefully first since it goes down some extremely "rural" roads!

Edited by JudyB (log)

I thought The Nut Tree was great and here is the report from the visit.

Stonking good value is the surprise menu, best value in the land.

We are overdue a visit to The Goose, so if you beat us to it be good to read your review.

Judy is correct The Nut Tree is difficult to get to but well worth the effort.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

We used to live in Didcot (it's the station which is Didcot Parkway) and to be honest I wouldn't recommend going there for lunch.

There are various pubs in nearby villages which are OK, but most of the better options (apart from The Goose) are in the Oxford direction.

I was brought up near Didcot, and agree that there is no food there of interest to an e-gullet-er. My parents still live in the area, and say that Sweet Olive @ The Chequers in Aston Tirrold, about 3 miles from Didcot is good. Probably not as good as The Goose, though!

Hi all - hope someone can help? I am visiting friends in didcot parkway at the weekend and we will be stopping for lunch on the way back to another friend in hertfordshire. Probably want to stop nearer Didcot than anywhere else and this is not an area i know well - any advice from my fellow egulleters?

So where did you go in the end? I hope that you hadn't planned on going to The Goose... :sad: (For anyone who hasn't noticed see:Walkout at the Goose)

Thanks for all the advice, we had reckoned on going to the goose actually but I obviously hadn't counted on the weekends events nor had I factored in the two small children with us so in the end we stayed at my friends in Didcot and made pizza, and drank some rather nice Italian wine, so not a wasted journey afterall!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man