• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you store your molds?

Edward J

Got a niggling problem--I can't find a decent way to store my molds.

In my shop I have a small (6' x 8") chocoalte room. I have a picture window for everyone to look in, and marble topped tables and melting units with wheels, but the molds just look plain messy. Granted, I only wash them maybe twice a year, but they look messy.

The best solution I've found so far was to scrounge up an old baker's tray trolley and chop it in half, bolt the two halves togther, and slice this contraption under one of my tables. The molds are on sheet pans, but they still slide around and fall off, and there's chocolate crumbs every where to clean up. Another solution would be wall mounted cupboards.

What's everyone else using?

I currently store mine in one of my larger drawers. I plan on getting a small "bookshelf" from Ikea (or similar) and using that to store them, because the drawer I'm using is beginning to become overfilled - I just finished building my candy kitchen and I have a small area left that hasn't screamed at me for a specific "use" and that's the area I'm thinking of putting the shelving unit -

I bought (so far) two plastic storage units that have 3 drawers. They stack together, and I store most of my chocolate tools in those. The drawers are deep enough, that they hold a lot of molds. They stay clean, and out of the way.

It got these at either Target or Walmart. I think they were about $16 each.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomric has a mould rack that can hold up to 100 molds.

I bought some water tight containers at "The Container Store" which are sized pretty close to fit the molds. I've got my seasonal and "molds I don't use anymore" put away and the ones I use frequently in containers easily accessible in the kitchen in a rack.

The Tomric mold rack is also very nice as it fits most molds perfectly and rolls around the floor.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

We have 4 of the racks from Tomric and they work very well. They are a bit expensive but it does help us not only to store them but also stage them when cleaning. The last thing I need is another drawer to open to look for things, I really like being able to quickly find a mold and the racks allow us to label where each mold type should go. For seasonal molds we put hem in storage bins and break them out into the racks when needed.

Can someone provide a link to the Tomric mold rack? I can't find it on their site. Thanks!

I couldn't find a picture of it either. Essentially it looks like a skinny speed rack.

Can someone provide a link to the Tomric mold rack? I can't find it on their site. Thanks!

I couldn't find a picture of it either. Essentially it looks like a skinny speed rack.

I've assembled a similar rack used for storing the boxes that Tomric sells for storing finished pieces. Fundamentally, both are standard speed racks with shorter standards holding the sides apart from each other. Assembly is pretty easy and just needs a socket and driver. You can do it with a crescent wrench or other similar tool but it simply isn't as fast.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"