• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for Grilling Book

Kim Shook

Well here I am stuck at home with a virus, not to mention snow and getting ready for company Thursday night and Super Bowl prep. My dad's birthday is Friday and I can't get out to look for something. I was thinking a really nice grilling book. He grills a lot and has both a gas grill and an Egg and he's pretty good. So nothing too basic. BUT he's not the most adventuresome eater, so nothing too exotic, either. Can anyone recommend something that I could order and have sent? Thanks so much!

"Serious Barbecue" by Adam Perry Lang is superb -- arguably the best of its kind -- but the recipes are complex... some have a marinade with a dozen ingredients, a spice rub, a glaze, and a sauce. For something that's very nearly as excellent but a little more accessible, try Jamie Purviance -- his "Weber's Way to Grill" and "Weber's Big Book of Grilling" are both well-regarded. I own and use all three.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

There's a brand new book dedicated to the Big Green Egg, titled (not surprisingly), The Big Green Egg Cookbook. Oddly, it's not on Amazon, but that link will take you to several vendors.

To keep the flavor profiles simple and some basic tips on technique I would go for:

Smoke and Spice by jamieson (for low and slow cooking).

For grilling I second the Adam Perry Lang book and two Purviance books above but would also add Weber's charcoal cooking and Weber's Real Grilling, with a preference on charcoal grilling (the recipes are easily converted to gas if that is the preference). Also check out Raichlens books, both The BBQ Bible and How To Grill and Sacues Rubs and Marinades. Also good is Jim Tarantino's Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures and Glazes. And finally Born to Grill by Jamieson is a decent book with easy recipes.

Clark

The BGE book might be your best bet, even if it's not out by the time of the party. I can't wait to get it myself. I have a bunch of other bbq books but use them rarely. It's bbq, not rocket science and I like my bbq simple. The BGE book should cover a lot more than a regular bbq book can, as the egg can do so much more. Personally I'd be more happy with a rain check than some other bbq book. If he uses the egg a lot (or wants to) that might be something to consider.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like many of the choices above, and would also like to mention Francis Mallman's Seven FIres. This book features everything a serius grilling enthusiast (mind you, I said "serius") will ever need. And some stuff he might never do, like cooking a whole cow.

Very creative recipes in this book. I've used some at home, and even got inspired by a couple for my restaurant.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español