• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ito Togarashi

JMillar

You see 'ito togarashi' mentioned often as a garnish and so far I've only located 1 retailer that sells pre prepared bags of this in London and not always in stock. That said I am sure it is easy enough to make this garnish but i'd welcome any tips or insights from those on this thread on getting that chilli so finely chopped or indeed on whether particular chilli's should be used and should they be fresh or dried etc?

I think the Korean people know more about it than the Japanese. I did some googling, and found a thread where someone says it's difficult to cut dried togarashi that finely at home and recommends buying pre-made ones.

You do need a sharp knife and a clear conscience, as they say, but if you soak the dried chili briefly first, then cut the top off, slit it open, remove seeds and veins, and open it out flat, it can be done.

I've been trying to recall which of my books had those instructions, but can't give a source, sorry.