• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broiler plates or Sizzle platters

JWangSDC

Sorry if this is inappropriate or the wrong place to ask, but I've worked in several restaurants and they all have this oval steel plate that is used for the broiler. You put fish on it, tenderloin on it or what not then place it in the broiler. Does anyone know what they are called or where I could purchase one? Endless google searches came up with nothing for me. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I have always known them to be called hot plates or sizzling plates. the ones I have are made of cast iron on a wooden base. I guess the link is a much more presentable version of what I have.

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

They are often called broiler plates or sizzle platters. Here is a link to a website that sells them.

http://www.kitchenandrestaurant.com/Sizzle-Platter-11-1-8-X-7-3-4-Oval-8-Gauge-p/jr-4481.htm

I ordered the SS sizzle platter and the iron sizzle platter but I realized these are not what I was looking for. The oval shape is correct, but the ones I'm thinking of are a little thicker and angled more. They are always used in the kitchen, but never brought outside. For instance, usually they'll sear the filet mignon in a pan and then place it in the oval steel object I'm looking for and put it in the broiler for 7 min. Then take it out, and place it on the food plate. Any ideas?