• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pistachio compound

tony h

Hi

I've seen something called pistachio compound mentioned in a few places but I do not not know what it is.

Can someone explain? I think it the thing I've been looking - concentrate of pistachio that could be used to to flavour ice cream - but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks

Tony

DONT use it !!! most of the time its some bad pistacchios with a lot of bitteralmond flavouring and some green color !!!

if you need it in a recipe do the following:

take a prefered amount of californian peeled pistacchios, split in two equal

parts, roast one part in the oven until SLIGHTLY colored, put both

parts in thermomix or robot coupe and mix while hot until you got

a semiliquid pistacchio paste, use as indicated ;-)

that usually takes only 20 mins. or so. if you put the paste in an airtight container

it will last easily 12 months in the freezer..

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

I love pistachios in desserts, confections and baked goods. I have found that the best way to bring out the most flavor is to do as schneich advises and roast half. However I steam the unroasted ones for ten minutes and then continue with the process.

In my opinion, the steaming brings out some of the flavor compounds that don't develop without heating.

I began doing this after getting a tour of a facility that makes nut flours - (they gave me little bags of products to sample) - and noted that some of the nuts, notably pistachios, almonds and filberts, were roasted briefly then blanched (to remove skins), then steamed and dried with hot air prior to being ground into flour.

As the flavor of their products was better than I had achieved on my own at home, I began the steaming and drying step prior to grinding and I think the results justify the extra step.

Try it with a small amount, see what you think.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett