• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best way to cook venison backstrap?

jeremyn

My hunter friend gave me a venison backstrap that is thawing right now. If I understand correctly, this is the NY Strip equivalent on a deer. If it was a beef NY Strip, I'd grill or roast it to rare. However, this thing is so skinny that I'm afraid it won't brown before it's fully cooked in the middle.

Any recommendations on an effective technique to cook this thing? Flavor affinities?

I take mine and cut them into manageable lengths to fit into a large black iron skillet, about 8-10"

In the meantime take about 1/2cup of virgin olive oil and heat gently in a small saucepan with fresh herbs, rosemary, thyme, peppercorns, etc.

Salt and pepper the meat and brown all over, the meat should be about medium rare since it is small diameter. Rest a couple of minutes and slice into pieces about 3/4-1" thick and drizzle with the warm herb oil.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

god recoil rob, that sounds delicious. I love venison so much but that just made me start salivating. I like to make a nice marinade of garlic, olive oil, dijon mustard, rosemary, thyme and salt and pepper and let the meat sit in it for a little bit after quickly searing the outside. Then I roast it until done at 350 to 375. I like it medium rare so usually its a pretty quick roast. I like the baked on crust of the rub and its great served with some roasted potatoes and sauteed spinach.

It's just a recipe for a Florentine steak adapted to venison. Venison gets a bad rap for gaminess due to mishandling of the game. good backstraps should be treated simply.

I like your recipe, will try it with my next kill.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

We shoot around 4-5 deer a year, clean and package ourselves. I'm a purist when it comes to the backstrap. I cut in thick butterflies and sear in butter--I like mine rare rare rare, so it only takes a few seconds on each side.

Thanks!

The Rub was:

- 2 Tablespoons Juniper Berries

- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic

- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Onion

- 1 Tablespoon Thyme

- 1 Teaspoon Cumin

- 1 Chipotle Pepper Ground

- 1 Teaspoon Aleppo Pepper

- 1/2 Teaspoon Corriander

The Blueberry Sauce:

1 Large White onion

4 Cloves Garlic

1.5 Cups Blueberries

1 Cup Blueberry WIne

1 Cup Red Wine

1 Cup Chicken Stock

Juice of 1 Lemon

1 Tablespoon Thyme

Tasted prety good!

More pics are here if anyone is interested.

Clark

I cut some the other week into manageable pieces, seared them on each side in a hot hot skillet and then sprinkled it with some homemade herbes de provence. SOOOOO good. Of course I like mine absolutely bloody rare/raw in the center.

11037_198505327201_518117201_3461061_7389923_n.jpg

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA