• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Citron ganache

Lior

This evening I was given a big-huge -almost the size of my hand- Yeminite citron with a request to use to make truffles of a sort. It goes to someone special. I don't want just a regular lemon white chocolate ganache-I don't think I do anyhow... I feel like dark chocolate. What do you think? Does anyone have any ideas please?? I know that there is hardly any juice in this citron variety but the pulp is thick and I do not know how to use it. The peel is very nice...

PH has a lemon/praline center in PH10. Praline ~2.5, milk chocolate 1, lemon zest, and butter.

You could also look up buddha's hand recipes and use it for the same things.

For instance, Candied buddha's hand.

Yes, Pierre Hermé. PH10 is a very large (and similarly priced) collection of some of his best work. A really excellent book.

Merci beaucoup.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You could try making a curd and use that to make a ganache with the dark chocolate. I do that with a 66% dark chocolate and lemon curd and it is one of my favourite chocolates.

How about making a marmalade of sorts with half of it - putting a small amount in the mold, then backing with either a curd or a citron ganache or cream filling?

You could try making a curd and use that to make a ganache with the dark chocolate. I do that with a 66% dark chocolate and lemon curd and it is one of my favourite chocolates.

Can you make a curd with zest only and no juice?

Edited by ejw50 (log)

well I have already made the curd! I will post pictures soon but there was absolutely NO juice, not a drop, so I used the zest with lemon juice to make the curd. It is totally delicious. I mixed with white chocolate. I will now make citron zest powder to rollthe truffles in. I am not sure about what to coat them in-if to coat them! I am thinking of dark chocolate so that the zest powder stands out-I hope. What do you think?

Now I am making a dark chocolate ganache with cream and citron zest, which I will coat in dark and roll in the zest powder. I made very small amounts.

well I have already made the curd! I will post pictures soon but there was absolutely NO juice, not a drop, so I used the zest with lemon juice to make the curd. It is totally delicious. I mixed with white chocolate. I will now make citron zest powder to rollthe truffles in. I am not sure about what to coat them in-if to coat them! I am thinking of dark chocolate so that the zest powder stands out-I hope. What do you think?

Now I am making a dark chocolate ganache with cream and citron zest, which I will coat in dark and roll in the zest powder. I made very small amounts.

Sounds very tasty.

What ratio of lemon curd to white chocolate did you use?

Today I completed the order. Irolled the citron curdtruffles into citron-ish shaped truffles. I rolled the dark chocolate truffles infused with citron zest into balls. Both are dipped in dark and either rolled or decorated with citron zest powder. I love the taste of both. I am not completely satisfied with the look. :wink:

citron truffles finished.jpg

The citron shaped ones are adorable. One of the flavours I made was Pierre Herme's lemon cream- the recipe is running over the internet, with some white chocolate for stabilization, in a dark chocolate shell. His lemon cream is amazing, I can eat it endlessly

hmmm sounds good! I will have to look that one up. Thanks! :rolleyes: I had fun making them! I love adding little hidden things on truffles-see if you can find a face!!

Just finished dipping the last ones-phew!

Bottom left - looks like a baby harp seal.